Rangers rout TigersApr 20, 2012 - 5:22 AM
Michael Young and Nelso Cruz also collected three hits and drove in two runs each for the Rangers, who matched the 1989 squad (11-2) for the best start to this point in any season.
Mike Napoli homered to help Yu Darvish (2-0) pick up the win. The 25-year-old right-hander walked five, but allowed two hits and a run while fanning five over 6 1/3 innings.
"We tried to make it simple today," said Rangers catcher Yorvit Torrealba of Darvish's approach. "He threw a lot of fastballs tonight."
Don Kelly finished 3-for-4 and knocked in all three runs for the Tigers, whose four-game win streak came to a halt.
Adam Wilk (0-2) was tagged in the loss for 10 hits and three runs -- two earned -- over four-plus frames.
"I threw a lot of strikes, and they ended up getting a lot of hits," Wilk said.
Already ahead by four, Texas piled on with five runs in the eighth thanks to RBI doubles from Cruz, Yorvit Torrealba and Kinsler plus a run-scoring hit by Elvis Andrus to put Texas into double digits.
Detroit's only answer to the onslaught was Kelly's two-run single in the home half.
Young knocked in Kinsler to put the visitors on the board in the first, and Napoli doubled the edge with his leadoff shot in the second.
Prince Fielder walked to start the home fourth, moved to third on a Delmon Young double and scored on Kelly's groundout.
Texas picked up two more in the fifth as Ramon Santiago's error on a Cruz grounder with the bases loaded plated one run and a Torrealba sacrifice fly brought home another.
In the sixth, with runners on second and third, Young's RBI fielder's choice pumped the Rangers' edge to 5-1.
Texas has scored double-digit runs three times this season and twice in its last three outings...Detroit was 9-3 coming in, their best start since going 11-1 in their last World Series campaign in 1984...This was the first meeting between the clubs since the American League Championship Series, won last October by the Rangers in six games...The 19 hits for the Rangers was their second-most this year, after belting out 21 in Boston on Tuesday.
- TEXAS: 10
Apr 19 10:53 PM
- Don Kelly single to left scored Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder. On the play, Alex Avila advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Rangers 10, Tigers 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 19 10:29 PM
- Elvis Andrus single to center scored Ian Kinsler. Runner on first with two out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Rangers 10, Tigers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 19 10:11 PM
- Ian Kinsler double to right scored Mike Napoli and Yorvit Torrealba. Runner on second with two out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Rangers 9, Tigers 1 Top 8, 2 OutsApr 19 10:10 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba double to right scored Nelson Cruz. On the play, Mike Napoli advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 7, Tigers 1 Top 8, 1 OutApr 19 10:07 PM
- Nelson Cruz double to right scored Michael Young. Runner on second with one out and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 6, Tigers 1 Top 8, 1 OutApr 19 10:05 PM
- Michael Young ground into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre out at second. Josh Hamilton advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 5, Tigers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsApr 19 9:11 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba sacrifice fly to center scored Adrian Beltre. Runners on first and second with two out and Craig Gentry due up.
Rangers 4, Tigers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsApr 19 8:50 PM
- Nelson Cruz reached first on Ramon Santiago's fielding error scored Josh Hamilton. On the play, Michael Young advances to second and Adrian Beltre advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Mike Napoli due up.
Rangers 3, Tigers 1 Top 5, 0 OutsApr 19 8:47 PM
- Don Kelly ground out second to first scored Prince Fielder. On the play, Delmon Young advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Jhonny Peralta due up.
Rangers 2, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 19 8:31 PM
- Mike Napoli lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Rangers 2, Tigers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsApr 19 7:32 PM
- Michael Young single to left scored Ian Kinsler. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Rangers 1, Tigers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 19 7:14 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 19 7:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22