Tigers beat Yanks again, extend home streak to 10Aug 8, 2012 - 5:22 AM
Andy Dirks had two RBI for the Tigers, who have won 10 in a row at home for the first time since June 15-July 15, 2006. Jhonny Peralta also drove in a run.
Rick Porcello (9-6) gave up three runs on eight hits over 6 2/3 innings for Detroit, which has won six straight games overall to move within a half-game of the White Sox in the AL Central.
"He came out there and he threw strikes. He stayed in the ballgame late enough for them to get their bullpen a little bit of rest," Yankees outfielder Curtis Granderson said about Porcello.
Eric Chavez hit a two-run homer for the American League East-leading Yankees, who lost Monday's series opener by a 7-2 margin. Ichiro Suzuki had two RBI.
Phil Hughes (11-9) allowed four runs on eight hits over 4 1/3 innings to take the loss.
Holding a 6-3 lead, the Tigers sent Jose Valverde to the mound in the ninth. Chavez singled and Raul Ibanez walked to put men on first and second with two outs. Suzuki hit an RBI single to center to cut the gap to two. Russell Martin followed with a double to left to score Ibanez. Granderson, though, popped out to end the game.
The Yankees broke a scoreless tie in the fourth. Mark Teixeira hit a two-out single and scored on Chavez's blast to left.
But the Tigers responded with a pair of runs in the bottom half. Cabrera led off with a homer to left. Brennan Boesch singled and raced home on Peralta's double down the left-field line, making it 2-2.
Detroit tacked on two more runs in the fifth. Dirks and Austin Jackson hit consecutive singles before Omar Infante lined out. Cabrera followed with a two-run double to make it 4-2.
The home team added another run in the sixth. Cody Eppley gave up a two-out single to Alex Avila, who crossed the plate on Dirks' double off the wall in right. Dirks was thrown out at third on the play.
New York was able to get the run back in the seventh when Nick Swisher doubled and scored on Suzuki's two-out double down the left-field line. Brayan Villarreal then took over for Porcello and recorded the final out of the inning.
The Tigers added a key insurance run in the eighth. With Joba Chamberlain on the mound, Delmon Young singled and Avila walked. Dirks' two-out single brought home Young, making it a 6-3 contest.
"Our offense did a really good job of coming back and putting those runs up," said Porcello. "Our defense played good and we were able to hold them at bay."
The Yankees, who were ousted in five games by the Tigers in last October's ALCS, have split eight meetings with Detroit this season. New York, however, has lost in six of its last seven regular-season visits to Detroit...Porcello improved to 3-2 versus New York...Hughes fell to 5-4 lifetime against the Tigers...Valverde picked up his 22nd save of the season.
- NEW YORK: 5
Aug 7 10:24 PM
- Russell Martin double to left scored Raul Ibanez with two out. On the play, Ichiro Suzuki advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 5, Tigers 6 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 7 10:23 PM
- Austin Jackson struck out swinging to end the inning.
Yankees 3, Tigers 6 End 8Aug 7 9:58 PM
- Brayan Villarreal enters the game for the Tigers with a runner on second and two out.
Yankees 3, Tigers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 7 9:22 PM
- Nick Swisher doubled to. Runner on second with one out and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 2, Tigers 5 Top 7, 1 OutAug 7 9:16 PM
- Miguel Cabrera double to left scored Andy Dirks and Austin Jackson with one out. Runner on second with one out and Prince Fielder due up.
Yankees 2, Tigers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 7 8:43 PM
- Jhonny Peralta double to left scored Brennan Boesch with two out. Runner on second with two outs and Alex Avila due up.
Yankees 2, Tigers 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 7 8:24 PM
- Miguel Cabrera lead-off Home Run (29) to left. Prince Fielder due up.
Yankees 2, Tigers 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 7 8:09 PM
- Raul Ibanez fouled out to third to end the inning.
Yankees 2, Tigers 0 Mid 4Aug 7 8:06 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 7:09 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22