Rangers top TigersAug 13, 2012 - 12:27 AM
Hamilton belted his major league-leading 32nd homer of the season in the first inning and singled home Elvis Andrus during a three-run third.
Ian Kinsler had an RBI double during the frame and later added a sacrifice fly for the Rangers, who have won eight of 11 games and improved to 13-3-2 in their last 17 series.
Yu Darvish (12-8) allowed three runs on six hits over 6 2/3 innings. He struck out eight, walked five and tied the Rangers rookie record for wins.
"He pounded the strike zone, threw the ball over the plate and threw the pitches he wanted to throw," Rangers manager Ron Washington said about Darvish.
Miguel Cabrera went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBI for the Tigers, losers in four of their last five games.
Rick Porcello (9-7) had won five of his previous six decisions, but gave up six runs -- four earned -- on nine hits over six innings in the setback.
Mitch Moreland began the third with a single and scored on Kinsler's 32nd double of the year -- a shot off the wall in left-center field.
Kinsler moved to third on the play and scored on an error by Porcello, which allowed Andrus to reach base. Hamilton's RBI base hit followed, making it 5-0.
"The third inning was obviously the big inning. It kind of separated them a little bit," said Porcello.
An inning later, Kinsler's sac fly plated Geovany Soto, who singled and advanced to third on Moreland's double.
The Tigers battled back in the fifth, which began with an Alex Avila walk and Jhonny Peralta's single. Omar Infante then doubled home Avila and after a pair of strikeouts, Cabrera made it 6-3 with a two-bagger into the corner in left field.
Darvish was relieved after issuing consecutive two-out walks in the seventh and Robbie Ross popped out Prince Fielder to end the threat.
In the bottom half, Andrus crossed the plate on a throwing error by Avila and Hamilton scored on a wild pitch by Brayan Villarreal.
Darvish is now tied with Chris Young, Kevin Brown and Edwin Correa for the Rangers rookie record in wins...The Rangers improved to 9-1-1 in their last 11 home series...Texas won the season-series over Detroit, 7-3.
- DETROIT: 3
Aug 12 6:13 PM
- Tanner Scheppers starts the inning for the Rangers.
Tigers 3, Rangers 8 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 12 6:10 PM
- Geovany Soto struck out swinging. None on with one out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Tigers 3, Rangers 7 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 12 6:03 PM
- Michale Kirkman starts the inning for the Rangers.
Tigers 3, Rangers 8 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 12 5:49 PM
- Josh Hamilton scores on a wild pitch. None on with one out and Adrian Beltre at the plate.
Tigers 3, Rangers 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 12 5:41 PM
- Brennan Boesch grounded into a fielder's choice to third. On the play, Miguel Cabrera tagged out at third to end the inning.
Tigers 3, Rangers 6 Mid 5Aug 12 4:37 PM
- Austin Jackson struck out swinging. Runners on second and third with one out and Andy Dirks due up.
Tigers 1, Rangers 6 Top 5, 1 OutAug 12 4:31 PM
- Ian Kinsler sacrifice fly out to right scored Geovany Soto. On the play, Mitch Moreland advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Elvis Andrus due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 12 4:18 PM
- Josh Hamilton singled to right scored Elvis Andrus, advances to third on Brennan Boesch's fielding error. Runner on third with none out and Adrian Beltre due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 12 4:01 PM
- Elvis Andrus grounded into a fielder's choice scored Ian Kinsler, advances to second on Rick Porcello's throwing error. Runner on second with none out and Josh Hamilton due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 12 3:59 PM
- Ian Kinsler doubled to center scored Mitch Moreland. On the play, Ian Kinsler advances to third on the throw home. Runner on third with none out and Elvis Andrus due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 12 3:58 PM
- Josh Hamilton one-out, two-run Home Run (32) to center scored Elvis Andrus. Adrian Beltre due up.
Tigers 0, Rangers 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 12 3:25 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 3:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22