Astros blank DodgersApr 22, 2012 - 11:42 PM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Jordan Schafer hit a grand slam to help the Houston Astros dominate the Los Angeles Dodgers, 12-0, on Sunday.
Carlos Lee opened the scoring with a two-run blast and seven Astros recorded at least one RBI in the victory, which snapped a two-game losing streak to salvage the final contest in a three-game set.
Wandy Rodriguez (1-2) picked up his first win of the season by tossing seven scoreless frames, allowing just three hits and three walks with six strikeouts.
Chad Billingsley (2-1) was tagged for nine runs -- five earned -- on four hits and four walks in 3 1/3 innings to take the loss. Mark Ellis and Jerry Hairston each had two of the Dodgers' six hits.
"It's tough to pitch when you're not getting ahead of hitters and you're not throwing strikes," Billingsley mused.
Lee launched an 0-1 fastball into the left-field seats with Jed Lowrie aboard in the home first for an early 2-0 Houston edge.
Billingsley walked Jose Castro and Rodriguez after Chris Johnson led off the second with a single to bring Schafer to the plate with the bases loaded. Schafer drove an 0-1 cutter deep to right-center. Right fielder Andre Ethier had time to plant himself at the warning track and almost made a jumping catch, but the ball tipped off the top of his glove and just cleared the fence for Schafer's first career grand slam.
A pair of groundouts around a wild pitch in the fourth pushed the Astros' lead to 9-0.
"I think [Billingsley] left some balls up and they helped us out a little bit in the field," Schafer said. "I know for awhile there we didn't have a bunch of hits, we had like four hits and nine runs there for awhile."
Jason Castro hit an RBI single in the fifth, and Chris Johnson and Jose Altuve each singled in a runner in the eighth for the game's final margin.
The Astros snapped a six-game losing streak against the Dodgers in which they scored a total of three runs...Dodgers' reliever Jamie Wright batted in the fifth, his first at-bat since June 16, 2007 with the Rangers...Castro's hit off Wright was the first he gave up this year (batters were 0-for-18) in 6 1/3 innings...Matt Kemp was 12-for-17 against lefties coming into the game. He was 0-for-3 today and saw his hitting streak ended at 10 games...Houston's last grand slam came on Aug 16, 2011, hit by Brian Bogesevic against the Cubs...Schafer has reached base safely in all 16 games this season, the longest streak for a Houston player since Craig Biggio's 17-game streak in 2000.
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Apr 22 5:01 PM
- Jose Altuve infield single to third scored Brian Bogusevic. On the play, Chris Johnson advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Marwin Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 0, Astros 12 Bot 8, 2 OutsApr 22 4:53 PM
- Chris Johnson singled to left scoring Matt Downs. On the play, Brian Bogusevic advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jason Castro due up.
Dodgers 0, Astros 11 Bot 8, 1 OutApr 22 4:50 PM
- Jason Castro singled to center scoring Chris Johnson. Runner on first with one out and Jose Altuve due up.
Dodgers 0, Astros 10 Bot 5, 1 OutApr 22 3:44 PM
- J.D. Martinez's fielder's choice from third to second scored Jordan Schafer. Jed Lowrie out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Lee due up.
Dodgers 0, Astros 9 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 22 3:31 PM
- Jed Lowrie walked. On the play, Chad Billingsley's wild pitch scored Jose Altuve.. Jordan Schafer advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on first and third with one out and Jed Lowrie at the plate.
Dodgers 0, Astros 8 Bot 4, 1 OutApr 22 3:26 PM
- Wandy Rodriguez's fielder's choice to the pitcher scored Jason Castro. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to second on Dee Gordon's fielding error. Runners on first and second with none out and Jordan Schafer due up.
Dodgers 0, Astros 7 Bot 4, 0 OutsApr 22 3:22 PM
- Jordan Schafer one-out, Grand Slam (2) to right scored Chris Johnson, Jason Castro and Wandy Rodriguez. Jed Lowrie is due up.
Dodgers 0, Astros 6 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 22 2:49 PM
- Carlos Lee two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to left scored Jed Lowrie. Brian Bogusevic is due up.
Dodgers 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsApr 22 2:23 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 22 2:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22