Astros roll past BrewersMay 17, 2012 - 4:29 AM
Norris (4-1) struck out nine and walked two to earn the win. Rhiner Cruz tossed a perfect eighth and was charged with two runs in the ninth before Wesley Wright got the last three outs for the Astros to snap a four-game skid.
"I'm trying to pitch as deep into the ball game as I can," Norris said. "Pitch count for me isn't really a big factor. It depends on the feel inning after inning. I felt fine and felt like I got stronger as the game went on."
Carlos Lee went 3-for-4 with a solo home run and three RBI, while Jed Lowrie, Justin Maxwell, Jordan Schafer and J.D. Martinez all had an RBI in the victory.
Randy Wolf (2-4) allowed seven runs -- six earned -- on seven hits and three walks in four innings to take the loss.
Corey Hart cracked a solo home run and Jonathan Lucroy ripped a pinch-hit two- run triple for the Brewers, who have dropped three of their last four.
Houston opened the scoring with a pair of runs in the second inning when Lee started the frame with a single into left and scored on a double by Lowrie. Lowrie then scored on a base hit up the middle by Maxwell.
The Astros added three more runs in their next at-bat. Norris started the rally with a single and Jose Altuve roped a base hit to right before Martinez walked to load the bags with one down. Lee then ripped a single up the middle to plate Norris and Altuve, and Lowrie reached on an error by Hart which allowed Martinez to score for a 5-0 Houston cushion.
"They're not a bad hitting team, they have a lot of good young players," Wolf said. "There's no excuse for me to not execute my pitches."
The Brewers got a run back in the fourth when Hart led off the inning by rocketing a Norris fastball into the seats in left to cut the deficit to 5-1.
But the Astros added two more runs in the home half of the frame. Jason Castro drew a leadoff walk, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Norris, and scored on a single back through the box by Schafer. Altuve followed with a walk and both runners moved up a base on a double steal before Schafer scored on a sac- fly by Martinez.
Lee made it a seven-run affair in the seventh when he deposited a hanging slider from Tim Dillard into the left-field seats.
Aramis Ramirez and Hart walked in the ninth and scored on Lucroy's triple to account for the final margin.
Milwaukee fell to 7-12 on the road this season and 8-15 when allowing the first run of the game...The Astros improved to 11-8 at home and 7-1 in games started by Norris this season...Entering play on Wednesday, the Brewers had won each of their past six games at Minute Maid Park...The Astros finished 3- for-7 with runners in scoring position and left just three on base.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
May 16 10:53 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jonathan Lucroy triple to right center scored Aramis Ramirez and Corey Hart with one out. Runner on third and Cesar Izturis due up.
Brewers 3, Astros 8 Top 9, 1 OutMay 16 10:50 PM
- Carlos Lee two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Jed Lowrie due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 16 10:18 PM
- J.D. Martinez sacrifice fly to center scored Jordan Schafer with two outs. Runner on second and Carlos Lee due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 16 9:29 PM
- Jordan Schafer single to center scored Jason Castro with one out. Runner on first and Jose Altuve due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 6 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 16 9:25 PM
- Corey Hart lead-off Home Run (8) to left. George Kottaras due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 5 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 16 9:13 PM
- Jed Lowrie reached second on Corey Hart's fielding error, scoring J.D. Martinez with one out. On the play, Carlos Lee advances to third. Runners on second and third and Justin Maxwell due up.
Brewers 0, Astros 5 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 16 9:06 PM
- Justin Maxwell single to center scored Jed Lowrie with none out. Runner on first and Chris Johnson due up.
Brewers 0, Astros 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 16 8:37 PM
- Jed Lowrie double to left center scored Carlos Lee with none out. Runner on second and Justin Maxwell due up.
Brewers 0, Astros 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 16 8:37 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 16 8:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21