Harrell's gem helps Astros top DodgersMay 26, 2012 - 6:15 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - J.D. Martinez clubbed a two-run homer to back a solid outing by Lucas Harrell as the visiting Houston Astros posted a 3-1 victory over the Los Angeles Dodgers in the opener of a three-game series.
Harrell (4-3) scattered five hits and walked three over a career-high 7 1/3 innings to pick up his first major league road win in 12 outings (six starts).
"You can't say enough about Lucas Harrell. He did an outstanding job," said Houston manager Brad Mills.
Jose Altuve doubled twice and scored a run for Houston, which was coming off a three-game sweep of the Chicago Cubs.
Clayton Kershaw (4-2) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on five hits, walked three and struck out six in seven full frames for the Dodgers, who have dropped two in a row on the heels of a six-game winning streak.
"He didn't seem to be as sharp, but hung in there and gave us a chance to win," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly about Kershaw.
Harrell exited after a one-out single by Elian Herrera in the eighth. Southpaw Wesley Wright was brought in to face a pair of left-handed hitters and didn't retire either of them.
After walking Bobby Abreu and giving up an opposite-field single to Andre Ethier that loaded the bases, Wright was replaced by Wilton Lopez, who walked Jerry Hairston Jr. on four pitches to force in Los Angeles' only run.
Mills then summoned Fernando Abad from the bullpen and he struck out pinch- hitter Ivan De Jesus. A fourth reliever, Fernando Rodriguez, retired A.J. Ellis on a fly ball to center to end the inning.
Brett Myers pitched the ninth for his 12th save of the season.
Kershaw entered Friday night with a 22-inning scoreless streak and that came to end an in the first. Altuve doubled to begin the game and scored on a throwing error after Carlos Lee grounded into a fielder's choice for the second out.
Martinez made it 3-0 in the third when he followed Jed Lowrie's one-out double with a drive over the left-field wall.
Kershaw had won 14 of his last 15 decisions at home...All seven of the Dodgers' hits were singles...Before the game, the Dodgers reinstated Hairston (strained left hamstring) from the 15-day disabled list and placed infielder Justin Sellers (bulging disc in his lower back) on the 15-day DL...The series is the Astros' final trip to Dodger Stadium as a member of the National League. The teams were rivals in the NL West from 1969-93.
- HOUSTON: 3
LOS ANGELES: 1
May 26 1:13 AM
- Jerry Hairston Jr.'s one-out, bases loaded walk scored Elian Herrera. Bases loaded with one out and James Loney due up.
Astros 3, Dodgers 1 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 26 12:38 AM
- J.D. Martinez one-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Jed Lowrie. Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 3, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 25 10:54 PM
- Matt Downs grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. On the play, Carlos Lee out at second to end the inning.
Astros 1, Dodgers 0 Mid 1May 25 10:16 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 10:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22