Capuano, Dodgers win series with AstrosMay 28, 2012 - 12:32 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Chris Capuano outdueled J.A. Happ in the rubber match of a three-game series, giving the Dodgers a 5-1 win over the Astros.
"Cap was great today," Dodgers catcher Matt Treanor said. "He mixed it up and changed speeds. He's a smart guy making pitches when he has to."
Capuano (7-1) went seven strong, allowing only one run and two hits. The lefty struck out eight and walked two.
"My location of pitches has been good," Capuano said. "I tried to keep the ball down. Matt and I are having fun. Our flow of the game is getting pretty easy. The way our guys are swinging the bats has been a bonus."
Jerry Hairston Jr. set a career high with five hits on the day, including a double, and knocked in a run.
Happ (3-4) struck out a career-high 10 Dodgers and gave up three runs (two earned) in 6 1/3 in the loss.
"That's a first-place team over there," Happ said. "It's frustrating because I wanted to help win this series but we came a little short."
Jose Altuve led off the game with a triple, scoring when Jed Lowrie grounded out, but the Astros only managed one more hit.
The Dodgers' staff struck out 10 Astros and allowed only four base runners on the day.
After falling behind early, the Dodgers quickly responded by tying the game in the second inning. Treanor and Dee Gordon delivered one-out singles to start the rally. After Capuano popped up his bunt attempt for the second out, Tony Gwynn Jr. evened up the score with a base hit.
After helping tie the game, Treanor put the Dodgers on top in the fourth inning with a home run to left-center field.
"I'm just trying to have quality at bats and make something happen," Treanor said.
The Astros then helped the Dodgers expand their lead in the seventh. After Hairston delivered a one-out single, Andre Ethier reached base on Chris Johnson's two-base error. Fernando Rodriguez then replaced Happ and intentionally walked pinch-hitter James Loney to load the bases. Rodriguez then walked Bobby Abreu to force in a run and give the Dodgers and 3-1 lead.
Los Angeles put the game out of reach in the eighth. Gordon led off the inning with a base hit, stole second and scored when Gwynn lined a pitch to center for a single. Two batters later, Gwynn scored on Hairston's fifth hit of the game.
After winning four straight, the Astros have dropped their last two games...The Dodgers have won eight of their last 10 games...Capuano improved to 5-0 at Dodger Stadium...Happ is 0-3 lifetime against the Dodgers...Houston has not won a series on the road since last September 12-14 in Philadelphia...The Astros fell to 1-7 in rubber games this season...The Dodgers improved to a major league-best 21-5 at home...The Dodgers are 10-4-2 in series this season...Capuano produced his eighth straight quality start...Last season, Capuano did not win his seventh game until June 29.
- HOUSTON: 1
LOS ANGELES: 5
May 27 7:17 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. singled to right scoring Tony Gwynn Jr. with one out. On the play, Elian Herrera advances to third. Runners on first and third and Andre Ethier due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 5 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 27 7:05 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. singled to center scoring Dee Gordon with one out. Runner on first and Elian Herrera due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 27 6:58 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Bobby Abreu walked scoring Jerry Hairston Jr. with one out. Bases loaded and Matt Treanor due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 27 6:39 PM
- Matt Treanor lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Dee Gordon due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 27 5:22 PM
- Tony Gwynn Jr. singled to left scoring Matt Treanor with two out. On the play, Dee Gordon advances to second. Runners on first and second and Elian Herrera due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 27 4:50 PM
- Jed Lowrie grounded out short to first scoring Jose Altuve with one out. None on and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 27 4:15 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 4:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22