Moore's hit lifts Astros over Brewers in extrasAug 12, 2012 - 6:04 AM
Jim Henderson (0-1) returned to the mound for the 10th after tossing a perfect ninth and gave up a leadoff single to Jose Altuve.
Henderson then struggled to find the strike zone, issuing back-to-back walks to Marwin Gonzalez and Steve Pearce to load the bases. Moore stepped up next and ripped a high fastball into left field to give the Astros their first extra-inning win of the season.
"Another tough game," said Milwaukee closer John Axford on his Twitter account. "Don't give up on us...especially not Henderson...he's the best of us in the pen right now! We will all keep fighting!"
Houston was 0-11 in extras entering Saturday's game.
Wilton Lopez (5-1) surrendered the game-tying run in the ninth inning, but worked around a two-out single in the 10th to earn the win for the Astros, who won consecutive games for the first time since June 23-24.
"It was nice to do it in back-to-back nights." Houston manager Brad Mills said. "When you don't do it all season and you do it in back-to-back nights, that's really nice and everyone enjoys it."
Pearce collected three RBI on a career-high tying three hits in the win.
Norichika Aoki knocked in a pair of runs for the Brewers, who have dropped 10 straight games on the road. It is their longest skid on the road since a 17- game slide in 1970.
Houston jumped out to the early lead in the bottom of the first inning after Tyler Greene opened the frame with a double and advanced to third on Altuve's base hit to left. Altuve would later move to second on a wild pitch before Pearce slapped a two-run single up the middle.
But Milwaukee quickly tied the game in the second inning when Aramis Ramirez hit a leadoff single, stole second and came home on Brett Wallace's throwing error on a grounder to third by Corey Hart, who advanced to second on the play.
Hart moved to third on a Rickie Weeks groundout and crossed the plate on Jonathan Lucroy's sacrifice fly to center field, making it a 2-2 game.
The Astros then regained the lead in the third as Altuve singled, stole second and rounded third on Wallace's base hit to right. Pearce followed with a triple high off the wall in left-center field to plate Wallace and give Houston a 4-2 edge.
The Brewers would answer again in the fifth with Aoki's two-run double to left-center field. Lucroy doubled and Jean Segura singled prior to Aoki's two- out knock.
However, the tie was shortlived again as Greene led off the home fifth with a blast just over the left-center field wall to put Houston back on top, 5-4.
Milwaukee threatened in the seventh inning by loading the bases with two outs, but Mickey Storey took the mound and caught Carlos Gomez looking at an low- and-inside slider to end the threat.
Gomez immediately argued with home plate umpire Gary Darling about the borderline pitch and was ejected from the game.
Lopez entered for the ninth inning and immediately gave up a Weeks double into the left-center field gap.
After Lucroy beat out an infield single, Segura brought home Weeks with a slow chopper to short. Lucroy moved to second on the play, but he would advance no further as Lopez fanned pinch-hitter Martin Maldonado and induced a grounder to first by Aoki to end the inning and keep it a 5-5 game.
Henderson struck out the side in the bottom of the ninth to force extras.
Dallas Keuchel started the game for Houston and allowed four runs -- two earned -- on five hits with a career-high six strikeouts...Marco Estrada surrendered four runs on seven hits in a four-inning start for Milwaukee...Pearce extended his hit streak to seven games...Aoki has a hit in 12 straight games...The Brewers lead the season series between the teams, 7-6.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
Aug 11 10:41 PM
- Scott Moore single to left scored Jose Altuve with none out to win the game.
Brewers 5, Astros 6 Bot 10, 0 OutsAug 11 10:41 PM
- Jean Segura grounded out short to first scored Rickie Weeks with one out. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second. Runner on second and Jose Veras due up.
Brewers 5, Astros 5 Top 9, 1 OutAug 11 10:00 PM
- Tyler Greene lead-off Home Run (5) to left center. Jose Altuve due up.
Brewers 4, Astros 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 11 8:35 PM
- Norichika Aoki doubled to left center scored Jonathan Lucroy and Jean Segura with two out. Runner on second and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 4, Astros 4 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 11 8:30 PM
- Steve Pearce triple to left center scored Brett Wallace with one out. Runner on third and Scott Moore due up.
Brewers 2, Astros 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 11 7:59 PM
- Brett Wallace singled to right. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to home on Norichika Aoki's fielding error with one out. Runner on first and Steve Pearce due up.
Brewers 2, Astros 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 11 7:58 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy flied out to center scored Corey Hart with two out. None on and Jean Segura due up.
Brewers 2, Astros 2 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 11 7:33 PM
- Corey Hart reached first on Brett Wallace's throwing error scored Aramis Ramirez with none out. Runner on second and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 1, Astros 2 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 11 7:28 PM
- Steve Pearce singled to center scored Tyler Greene and Jose Altuve with one out. On the play Pearce advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Scott Moore due up.
Brewers 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 11 7:20 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 7:06 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21