Padres edge Angels in 13 inningsMay 21, 2012 - 3:36 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Will Venable drove home Clayton Richard with a single in the 13th inning and the Padres defeated the Angels, 3-2, in the finale of a three-game interleague series.
Richard, a pitcher, reached base with a two-out, pinch-hit single and Venable followed with a line drive to left field off of David Pauley (0-1). Howie Kendrick, who replaced the injured Ryan Langerhans in left field earlier in the game, failed to pick up the bouncing ball cleanly, allowing Richard to score.
"I was surprised that he made it so far but I was happy to see him cross the plate," Venable said of Richard.
Yonder Alonso had a two-run double for San Diego, which won two of three in the series.
Miles Mikolas (1-1) pitched two scoreless innings of relief to earn the win and Anthony Bass gave up two runs on five hits in a six-inning start. He walked three and struck out six.
Mark Trumbo had an RBI double and Mike Trout hit a solo homer in the fifth inning for the Angels, who fell to 18-24 on the season.
"There's no quit in (these guys), they play hard," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said of his team. "Unfortunately we didn't get it done at the times leading up to extra innings to try and win the game."
Starter Ervin Santana went six innings and allowed two runs on six hits. He walked two and struck out six.
Trout began the game with a single, stole second and moved to third on a groundout. Trumbo then lifted a two-out double to left field to put the Angels on top.
The Padres tied the game, 2-2, in the fifth. Venable was hit by a pitch to start the inning and Cameron Maybin followed with a single. Both runners crossed the plate when Alonso belted a double off the base of the wall in center field.
The Angels loaded the bases with one down in the 10th, but Brad Brach retired Kendrick and Peter Bourjos to escape.
Langerhans fell shoulder-first into the left field wall while attempting to catch John Baker's double in the 11th inning. He immediately left the game...The Angels were 1-for-14 with runners in scoring position and left 12 runners on base...This was the first series between the teams since the Angels swept a three-game set at home during the 2009 season.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
SAN DIEGO: 3
May 20 8:34 PM
- Will Venable singled to left. On the play, Clayton Richard scored on Howie Kendrick's fielding error to win the game.
Angels 2, Padres 3 Bot 13, 2 OutsMay 20 8:33 PM
- Yonder Alonso double to center scored Will Venable and Cameron Maybin with one out. Runner on second and Nick Hundley due up.
Angels 2, Padres 2 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 20 5:38 PM
- Mike Trout one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Maicer Izturis due up.
Angels 2, Padres 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 20 5:26 PM
- Howie Kendrick struck out looking to end the inning.
Angels 1, Padres 0 Mid 1May 20 4:19 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 4:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22