Callaspo, Angels top A's in 11 inningsMay 24, 2012 - 1:39 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Alberto Callaspo hit a two-run double in the 11th inning and the Angels beat the Athletics, 3-1, on Wednesday to end a three-game series.
Maicer Izturis hit an RBI single earlier for the Angels, who won the last two games of the series to snap a three-game slide.
Seth Smith had a solo homer for the A's, but it was one of only three hits all day for the team, all of them coming against Angels ace Jered Weaver.
"We're not stringing enough hits together and getting men on base," said A's manager Bob Melvin. "There are a lot of good pitchers in the league -- we can't keep using that excuse. We just have to swing the bats better."
The starting pitchers dueled early. Weaver struck out four batters in eight innings, giving up three hits and two walks and trimming his ERA .19 points to 2.61 for the season; and Jarrod Parker fanned eight in seven innings for the A's, allowing five hits and a walk.
"It's our job to keep us in the game and that's what I did for the most part," Weaver said.
Jordan Norberto (0-1) walked Kendrys Morales with one out in the 11th and pinch runner Peter Bourjos went to third on Howie Kendrick's two-out single.
Callaspo's double to left field brought both runners home for the 3-1 lead, and Ernesto Frieri worked around a walk in the ninth inning for his first major league save.
Jordan Walden (1-1) threw a perfect 10th inning for the win.
Earlier, Callaspo walked leading off the third inning and Bobby Wilson had the Angels' first hit, a one-out single. Callaspo scored on Izturis' two-out flare to left field to make it 1-0.
Albert Pujols singled in the top of the sixth but was thrown out trying to take third on Morales' base hit to center. The A's tied the game on Smith's two-out homer to center in the bottom of the inning, his fourth of the season.
Ryan Cook relieved Parker to start the eighth and escaped a two-out jam after Izturis walked, stole second base and Pujols was given an intentional pass to put two runners on.
Scott Downs stranded a runner in the ninth after relieving Weaver, getting Kila Ka'aihue on a ground ball after Jonny Gomes had drawn a two-out walk.
The Angels are 3-3 on a 10-game road trip that continues with a four-game series in Seattle starting Thursday...The A's remain at home for a three-game series against the Yankees starting Friday.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
May 23 6:49 PM
- Alberto Callaspo doubled to left scored Peter Bourjos and Howie Kendrick with two out. Runner on second and Kole Calhoun due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 1 Top 11, 2 OutsMay 23 6:37 PM
- Seth Smith two-out, solo Home Run (4) to center. Jonny Gomes is due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 23 5:19 PM
- Maicer Izturis singled to left scoring Alberto Callaspo with two out. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to second. Runners on first and second with Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 23 4:17 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 3:37 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22