Angels rally in 9th to top MarinersMay 26, 2012 - 7:32 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Howie Kendrick smacked a go-ahead two-run single to cap a three-run top of the ninth inning as the LA Angels of Anaheim rallied for a 6-4 win over the Seattle Mariners in second installment of a four-game set.
Albert Pujols launched a three-run shot, his fifth in the last 10 games after registering just one long ball in his first 36 contests, for the Angels, who have won four straight games.
Jason Isringhausen (1-0) picked up the win with a 1-2-3 eighth inning and Scott Downs earned his fourth save on just seven pitches in the ninth.
Justin Smoak smacked two hits, including a two-run homer, to go with four RBI for Seattle, which has dropped three of four on the heels of a four-game winning streak.
Trailing 4-3 heading into the ninth inning, the Angels surged ahead against Seattle closer Brandon League (0-4).
Mark Trumbo began the frame with a single and Alberto Callaspo followed with a walk. Peter Bourjos, who came on to pinch run for Trumbo, scored on League's throwing error to third on Erick Aybar's bunt attempt to tie the game.
"I thought it would've been a close play, but if I made a good throw I'd have a chance to get him at third, but (it) went into left field," League said of the error. "Then it's like all hell broke loose."
After Kole Calhoun was intentionally walked, Kendrick slapped a single up the middle, plating Callaspo and Aybar to make it 6-4.
"Right there, he just happened to make a mistake out over the plate and I was looking for something out there to hit," Kendrick said of the hit.
Earlier, Smoak rolled an RBI groundout in the first inning, recorded a run- scoring single in the third and belted a two-run homer in the fifth to give the Mariners a 4-0 lead.
The Angels got three back in the sixth frame as Pujols cracked an 0-2 fastball the opposite way and over the wall in right-center to cut the deficit to 4-3.
League's blown save was his fourth in 13 opportunities...Pujols is now hitting .227 on the year after he was batting just .190 on May 8...Blake Beavan allowed three runs on five hits and two walks in seven innings for Seattle...Ervin Santana surrendered four runs on four hits and seven walks in a five-inning start for the Angels.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
May 26 1:06 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Howie Kendrick single to center scored Alberto Callaspo and Erick Aybar with none out. On the play, Kole Calhoun advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Trout due up.
Angels 6, Mariners 4 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 26 12:56 AM
- Howie Kendrick is pinch-hitting for John Hester.
Angels 4, Mariners 4 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 26 12:55 AM
- Albert Pujols one-out, three-run Home Run (6) to center scored John Hester and Maicer Izturis. Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 3, Mariners 4 Top 6, 1 OutMay 25 11:54 PM
- Justin Smoak one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Kyle Seager. John Jaso due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 4 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 25 11:41 PM
- Justin Smoak single to right scored Ichiro Suzuki with one out. Runner on first and John Jaso due up.
Angels 0, Mariners 2 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 25 11:10 PM
- Jesus Montero grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Angels 0, Mariners 1 End 1May 25 10:38 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
May 25 10:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21