Angels finish off 4-game sweep of MarinersMay 28, 2012 - 1:17 AM Seattle, WA (Sports Network) - Kendrys Morales collected three hits, including a home run, and drove in two, while C.J. Wilson pitched six solid innings, as Los Angeles topped Seattle, 4-2, to sweep a four-game series.
Mark Trumbo also hit a solo homer and Howie Kendrick added another RBI for the Angels, winners in six straight overall.
Wilson (6-4) allowed just two hits and a run with two walks, fanning five before leaving with a blister on his left hand. Scott Downs turned in a scoreless ninth for his fifth save.
"The rotation sets the tone. If we go out there and prevent scoring right out of the gate then it gives the offense a lot of confidence," Wilson said of the rotation's role in his team's success. "As you see, we don't need to score five runs in an inning, we score one run, [then] one run, [then] one run, and that's what we all envisioned during spring training."
Justin Smoak had two hits and Miguel Montero scored twice for the Mariners, who have lost five of six.
Hector Noesi (2-6) was tagged in defeat for five hits and three runs over eight full frames.
"A couple of two strike pitches hurt him but Hector pitched another great game," noted Mariners manager Eric Wedge. "It's been a lot of fun to watch him progress and he's consistently getting us deep into ballgames and giving us every opportunity to win."
Kendrick provided a valuable insurance run in the ninth against Shawn Kelley, lofting a sacrifice fly to right to score Morales for a 4-2 Halos edge. Morales led off the frame with a double and advanced on a Trumbo flyout.
Smoak singled off Downs with two out in the home half, then swiped second and advanced to third on Downs' errant pickoff attempt. But Kyle Seager grounded back to the mound for the final out.
LA opened the scoring in the first, as Mike Trout led off with a single, stole second and later came in on a Morales single.
Morales began the fourth with a blast to center, countered by Smoak's RBI single with two out in the home half.
Trumbo's homer to start the seventh restored the Angels' two-run edge but the M's closed within one in the home portion as Montero walked, then came in with the help of two wild pitches from Jordan Walden.
The last four-game sweep by the Angels in Seattle occurred from April 25-28, 1985 when the Mariners played in the Kingdome...Both clubs play on Monday, as Los Angeles returns home to start a nine-game homestand by welcoming the Yankees, and Seattle begins a nine-game road trip in Texas.
- LOS ANGELES: 4
May 27 6:41 PM
- Howie Kendrick sacrifice fly out to right scored Kendrys Morales. None on with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 4, Mariners 2 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 27 6:33 PM
- Jordan Walden wild pitch scored Jesus Montero. None on with two outs and Alex Liddi at the plate.
Angels 3, Mariners 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 27 6:10 PM
- Mark Trumbo lead-off Home Run (7) to left center. Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 3, Mariners 1 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 27 5:50 PM
- Justin Smoak singled to right scored Jesus Montero. Runner on first with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Angels 2, Mariners 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 27 5:17 PM
- Kendrys Morales lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 2, Mariners 0 Top 4, 0 OutsMay 27 5:04 PM
- Kendrys Morales singled to left scored Mike Trout. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 1, Mariners 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 27 4:19 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 4:10 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21