Cespedes keys big rally, as A's hold off AngelsAug 9, 2012 - 3:35 AM Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - Yoenis Cespedes' go-ahead, two-run single highlighted a five-run sixth inning as the Oakland Athletics downed the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, 9-8, in the rubber match of a three-game set.
Chris Carter and George Kottaras smacked two-run homers for the A's, who improved to an AL-leading 17-8 since the All-Star break.
Pat Neshek (1-0) recorded the final out in the sixth to pick up the win and Ryan Cook allowed two runs in the ninth, but still notched his 12th save of the year when Erick Aybar grounded out to end the game with the tying run on second.
Kendrys Morales cracked a pair of long balls for the Angels, who have dropped six of their last eight games.
In his third start with the Halos, Zack Greinke surrendered four runs on six hits and five walks in five innings. He's 0-1 with a 5.68 ERA so far with the Angels.
"When you score eight runs you have to find a way to win a ball game," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "We didn't get it done."
Chris Iannetta cracked a leadoff homer in the third, while Torii Hunter launched a one-out solo shot and Morales scalded a two-run blast in the fifth to make it 5-4 in favor of the Angels, but the A's surged ahead following their five-run sixth.
Cliff Pennington started the inning against LaTroy Hawkins (2-3) with a walk and moved to second on Jemile Weeks' sacrifice bunt. Coco Crisp plated him with a double to right. Josh Reddick worked a two-out walk and a double steal put runners on second and third. Cespedes then lined a single to right, bringing home Reddick and Crisp. Carter followed and cracked a two-run shot to left-center, giving Oakland a 9-5 lead.
"To get (Greinke) out in the fifth inning and to get into their bullpen, (which) has been shaky all year, had to be a building block for us," said Reddick.
Mark Trumbo blasted a solo shot deep into the seats in left-center in the seventh, cutting the deficit to 9-6.
The Halos had runners on the corners with none away in the eighth, but Sean Doolittle struck out Iannetta, Mike Trout and Hunter to end the threat.
Howie Kendrick lined a two-run single with two outs in the ninth to make it 9-8. He stole second to put himself in scoring position, but Erick Aybar grounded out to Pennington at shortstop to end the contest.
Earlier, Morales smacked a one-out solo shot down the right field line in the second to get the Angels on the board, but the A's countered by pushing across four in the home half.
After Carter walked to being the frame, Kottaras drilled a two-run homer to dead center. Following Brandon Inge's strikeout, Greinke walked the bases loaded and consecutive RBI singles by Brandon Moss and Reddick gave Oakland a 4-1 lead.
Carter has hit seven of his 10 homers since the All-Star break...It was Morales' ninth career two-homer game...In his second career start, Dan Straily was charged with five runs on eight hits and a walk in 4 2/3 innings.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 8 7:18 PM
- Howie Kendrick singled to center scoring Albert Pujols and Vernon Wells. Runner on first with two outs and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 8, Athletics 9 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 8 7:15 PM
- Mark Trumbo one-out, solo Home Run (29) to left-center. Kendrys Morales is due up.
Angels 6, Athletics 9 Top 7, 1 OutAug 8 6:28 PM
- Chris Carter two-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left-center scored Yoenis Cespedes. George Kottaras is due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 9 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 8 6:18 PM
- Yoenis Cespedes singled to right scoring Coco Crisp and Josh Reddick. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Carter due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 8 6:13 PM
- Coco Crisp doubled to right scoring Cliff Pennington. Runner on second with one out and Brandon Moss due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 5 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 8 6:02 PM
- Kendrys Morales two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (14) to right-center scored Mark Trumbo. Alberto Callaspo is due up.
Angels 5, Athletics 4 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 8 5:25 PM
- Torii Hunter one-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Albert Pujols is due up.
Angels 3, Athletics 4 Top 5, 1 OutAug 8 5:19 PM
- Chris Iannetta lead-off Home Run (5) to left-center. Mike Trout is due up.
Angels 2, Athletics 4 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 8 4:36 PM
- Josh Reddick singled to center scoring Coco Crisp. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 8 4:28 PM
- Brandon Moss singled to right scoring Jemile Weeks. On the play, Coco Crisp advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Josh Reddick due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 8 4:27 PM
- George Kottaras none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Chris Carter. Brandon Inge is due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 8 4:15 PM
- Kendrys Morales one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Alberto Callaspo is due up.
Angels 1, Athletics 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 8 4:02 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 3:37 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22