Jaso, Mariners top AngelsAug 12, 2012 - 4:41 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - John Jaso hit a solo homer and knocked in two runs, helping the Seattle Mariners beat the Los Angeles Angels, 7-4, in the middle installment of a three-game series.
Dustin Ackley added two RBI and a run scored for the Mariners, who snapped a five-game skid. Brendan Ryan and Trayvon Robinson each drove in a run.
Hisashi Iwakuma (3-3) gave up three runs on six hits over seven-plus innings to pick up the win. The Japanese right-hander struck out four and walked one.
Vernon Wells hit a homer and knocked in three runs for the Angels, who failed to build off Friday's 6-5 victory. Kendrys Morales added a solo homer.
Dan Haren (8-9) struggled on the mound for Los Angeles, allowing seven runs -- five earned -- on five hits over 3 1/3 innings.
"I didn't see this coming," Haren said. "It just didn't work out."
The Mariners got to Haren early and often. In the second, Mike Carp walked and Miguel Olivo singled to put men on the corners with two outs. Robinson followed with an RBI single to right. After Ryan walked to load the bases, Ackley hit a two-run single to right.
Jaso's solo homer to right in the third made it a 4-0 game.
"I feel very comfortable hitting here. I have the right mindset here," Jaso said.
Seattle tacked on three more runs in the fourth. Olivo led off with an infield single, moved to second on shortstop Erick Aybar's throwing error and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Robinson walked and stole second to put men on second and third for Ryan, who hit a sacrifice fly. Another run crossed the plate when Ackley reached first on first baseman Albert Pujols' fielding error. Jerome Williams came in from the bullpen and gave up consecutive two- out singles to Kyle Seager and Jaso, plating a run to make it 7-0.
Wells' RBI single in the fifth cut Los Angeles' deficit to six.
Angels center fielder Mike Trout provided another highlight-reel catch in the eighth. With a man on first, Olivo hit a long fly ball to deep center field. Trout made a leaping catch at the wall to take a homer away from Olivo. Eric Thames was doubled off first on the play.
Wells' two-run homer to left in the bottom of the eighth cut the gap to 7-3. Morales added a solo homer in the ninth to account for the final margin.
The Angels lead the season series by a 6-3 margin...Since coming off the DL in late July, Haren is 2-1 in four starts. He fell to 11-6 lifetime against Seattle...The Angels optioned pitcher David Carpenter to Triple-A Salt Lake recalled pitcher Steve Geltz from Salt Lake on Saturday.
- SEATTLE: 7
LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 11 11:43 PM
- Kendrys Morales lead-off Home Run (15) to right. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Mariners 7, Angels 4 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 11 11:37 PM
- Vernon Wells none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Erick Aybar. Chris Iannetta due up.
Mariners 7, Angels 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 11 11:13 PM
- Vernon Wells single to center scored Erick Aybar. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Iannetta due up.
Mariners 7, Angels 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 11 10:38 PM
- Mike Carp grounded out first to pitcher to end the inning.
Mariners 7, Angels 0 Mid 4Aug 11 10:11 PM
- Dustin Ackley reached first on Albert Pujols's fielding error scored Trayvon Robinson. Runner on first with one out and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 6, Angels 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 11 10:04 PM
- Brendan Ryan sacrifice fly to center scored Miguel Olivo. On the play, Trayvon Robinson advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 5, Angels 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 11 10:02 PM
- John Jaso one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Mike Carp due up.
Mariners 4, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 11 9:44 PM
- Dustin Ackley single to right scored Miguel Olivo and Trayvon Robinson. On the play, Brendan Ryan advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 3, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 11 9:33 PM
- Trayvon Robinson single to right scored Mike Carp. On the play, Miguel Olivo advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 1, Angels 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 11 9:27 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 9:08 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21