Treanor, Dodgers drop Mets in 12 inningsJul 23, 2012 - 12:15 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Pinch-hitter Matt Treanor broke a 12th-inning tie with a two-run single and the Los Angeles Dodgers completed a three-game sweep of the New York Mets with an 8-3 win at Citi Field.
James Loney hit a leadoff single to spark a five-run 12th inning for the Dodgers, who squandered a one-run lead in the ninth. Tony Gwynn, Jr. then dropped down a bunt to advance the runner and wound up beating the throw for an infield single.
After Mark Ellis failed on his bunt attempt by popping out to New York reliever Ramon Ramirez (2-2), Gwynn was erased at second on a fielder's choice.
Ramirez then intentionally walked Andre Ethier to load the bases and Treanor delivered off the bench with a grounder up the middle. Luis Cruz followed with an RBI single and Adam Kennedy added a two-run double, helping secure the Dodgers' first three-game sweep against the Mets in New York since August 16-18, 2002.
"I knew the situation might come up," said Treanor about his pinch-hit appearance. "I went up there and basically just looking for a pitch to hit, something out over the plate."
Josh Wall (1-0) picked up the win in his major league debut.
The loss dropped the Mets (47-48) below .500 for the first time this season.
"It's very disappointing," admitted New York manager Terry Collins. "We're not happy with the way things have gone the last 10 days. We gotta buckle down and get after it and get back over (.500)."
Javy Guerra faltered in the bottom of the ninth, blowing his fourth save of the season. He gave up a leadoff single to Ruben Tejada, who reached third on a one-out hit by David Wright and scored the tying run on Ike Davis' infield chopper. The first baseman Loney bobbled the ball in his haste to get Tejada at the plate, but recovered to throw Davis out. After intentionally walking Daniel Murphy, Guerra got Lucas Duda on an inning-ending groundout.
The Mets failed to score after their first two batters reached base in the 10th.
The Dodgers grabbed a 2-0 lead in the fourth when Matt Kemp led off with a single and Juan Rivera launched a one-out home run to left-center field off Mets starter Jon Niese.
New York got a run back in the bottom half of the inning on a two-out RBI single by Josh Thole, then put men on the corners with one gone in the fifth. Scott Elbert replaced starter Nathan Eovaldi on the mound and shut down the Mets, striking out Davis before getting Murphy to fly out and end the frame.
The Dodgers went ahead 3-1 in the sixth on Ethier's one-out single to left field. Ethier knocked in Mark Ellis, who had hit a leadoff single and advanced to second on a flyout.
New York had another opportunity in the home sixth, but Shawn Tolleson retired Ruben Tejada with two on and two outs. The Mets did pushed across a run with consecutive two-out hits in the seventh. Given a second chance, Davis lined a double after appearing to have struck out and came around to score on Murphy's bloop single to left.
Murphy went 4-for-5 with a walk...Eovaldi gave up one run on seven hits, walked one and struck out seven in 4 1/3 innings...Niese allowed three runs on eight hits in seven-plus innings. He has now pitched at least six innings in nine consecutive outings...Los Angeles finished 5-for-17 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base...New York recorded four hits in 19 at-bats with runners in scoring position and stranded 14...The Mets designated pitcher Miguel Batista for assignment and recalled pitcher Elvin Ramirez from Triple-A Buffalo prior to Sunday's contest.
- LOS ANGELES: 8
NEW YORK: 3
Jul 22 5:54 PM
- Adam Kennedy doubled to right scoring Matt Treanor and Luis Cruz. Runner on second with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Dodgers 8, Mets 3 Top 12, 2 OutsJul 22 5:34 PM
- Ike Davis grounded out first to second scoring Ruben Tejada. On the play, David Wright advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Daniel Murphy due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 22 4:30 PM
- Daniel Murphy singled to left scoring Ike Davis. Runner on first with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 22 3:39 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to left scoring Mark Ellis. Runner on second with one out and Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 3, Mets 1 Top 6, 1 OutJul 22 3:04 PM
- Josh Thole singled to center scoring Daniel Murphy. On the play, Lucas Duda advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jon Niese due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 22 2:29 PM
- Juan Rivera one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Matt Kemp. Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 2, Mets 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 22 2:15 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 22 1:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22