Ramirez's HR lifts Dodgers over Giants in 10Jul 28, 2012 - 7:52 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Welcome to the Dodgers, Hanley Ramirez.
The petulant infielder, acquired from the Marlins on Wednesday, hit a two-run, go-ahead homer in the 10th inning on Friday, as the Dodgers downed the Giants, 5-3, in the opener of a three-game series.
San Francisco trailed 3-1 in the eighth when Melky Cabrera singled, Angel Pagan doubled, and Brandon Belt followed with a base hit up the middle to knot the score.
In the 10th, Sergio Romo (3-2) retired to first two batters he faced, then walked Andre Ethier on a close, full-count fastball. Ramirez capitalized by belting an 0-1 slider into the seats in left center for his 15th home run of the season and his first as a member of the Dodgers.
"That ball was crushed," said Los Angeles catcher A.J. Ellis. "You notice in batting practice, watching Hanley hit, it's just a different sound coming off of his bat. That ball was hit and our dugout erupted."
Shawn Tolleson (1-0) tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to earn the win and Kenley Jansen worked around a pair of singles in the 10th to notch his 20th save of the season.
The Dodgers halted a three-game losing streak and now trail San Francisco by two games in the National League West.
Stephen Fife, who was recalled from Triple-A Albuquerque prior to the game, made his second career start for Los Angeles. He lasted 6 1/3 innings, allowing just one run on six hits with three walks and two strikeouts.
The 25-year-old righty also helped the Dodgers snap a 31-inning scoreless streak against the Giants when he doubled with two down in the fifth and came home on Jerry Hairston's two-bagger.
Mark Ellis followed with an RBI single and James Loney drove in a run an inning later for a 3-1 lead.
Giants starter Matt Cain allowed three runs on nine hits over seven frames. He singled to load the bases in the second inning, setting the stage for Nate Schierholtz's RBI groundout.
San Francisco, which acquired veteran infielder Marco Scutaro from the Rockies on Friday in exchange for Charlie Culberson, was seeking its fourth straight win against the Dodgers.
"It's no secret we're looking for depth and experience," said Giants general manager Brian Sabean. "Hopefully this is the first of a couple moves. We'll see."
Jansen gave up singles to Cabrera and Buster Posey to begin the 10th, but struck out Angel Pagan and Belt, then induced Jaoquin Arias into a game-ending fly out to left field.
Ramirez is now 4-for-11 with a triple in three games since joining the Dodgers via trade. Los Angeles also acquired lefty reliever Randy Choate in that deal and sent pitchers Nathan Eovaldi and Scott McGough to Miami.
Fife made his major league debut on July 17....San Francsico leads the season- series 4-3...Scutaro, an 11-year veteran, is hitting .271 with four home runs and 30 RBI in 95 games this season...The Dodgers placed left-handed pitcher Scott Elbert on the 15-day disabled list with left elbow inflammation on Friday.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jul 28 1:45 AM
- Hanley Ramirez two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Andre Ethier. Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 5, Giants 3 Top 10, 2 OutsJul 28 1:23 AM
- Brandon Belt single to center scored Melky Cabrera and Angel Pagan with one out. Runner on first and Joaquin Arias due up.
Dodgers 3, Giants 3 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 28 12:44 AM
- James Loney single to left scored Andre Ethier with one out. Runner on first and Luis Cruz due up.
Dodgers 3, Giants 1 Top 6, 1 OutJul 27 11:59 PM
- Mark Ellis single to center scored Jerry Hairston Jr. with two out. Runner on first and Matt Kemp due up.
Dodgers 2, Giants 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 27 11:41 PM
- Jerry Hairston Jr. double to right scored Stephen Fife with two out. Runner on second and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 27 11:40 PM
- A.J. Ellis singled to right. Runner on first with none out and Stephen Fife due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 1 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 27 10:56 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 10:16 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22