4-run 5th helps Marlins down DodgersAug 12, 2012 - 5:04 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Justin Ruggiano capped a four-run fifth inning with an RBI single to help the Miami Marlins beat the Los Angeles Dodgers, 7-3, in the middle installment of a three-game series.
Carlos Lee had two RBI and a run scored for the Marlins, who bounced back from a 5-2 loss in the series opener on Friday. Donovan Solano, Nick Green, John Buck and Gorkys Hernandez each drove in a run.
Miami starter Ricky Nolasco (9-11) gave up two runs on nine hits over five innings to pick up the win.
Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Shane Victorino had an RBI apiece for the Dodgers, who trail the Giants by one game in the NL West. San Francisco beat Colorado on Saturday.
Joe Blanton (8-10), making his second start for Los Angeles, allowed four runs on six hits over five innings to take the loss.
"It just kind of happened, and it happened quick," said Blanton, who had a one-hitter through 4 1/3 innings.
The Dodgers, who left the bases loaded in the first, broke a scoreless tie in the fourth. A.J. Ellis doubled to left, move to third on Blanton's single and scored when Victorino beat out a double play.
Los Angeles tacked on another run in the fifth. Kemp led off with a single, stole second and raced home on Ethier's base hit to right-center field.
But Miami finally got to Blanton in the bottom half. Solano, Green and Buck hit three straight doubles with one out to plate a pair of runs. Pinch-hitter Austin Kearns followed with a single to put men on the corners. Hernandez's sacrifice bunt scored another run, and Ruggiano added an RBI single to right- center field to make it 4-2.
"[Blanton] had a good mix of stuff going, but we stuck with it and continued to keep having good at-bats and made him pay when it counted," said Buck.
The Marlins tacked on three more runs in the eighth to essentially put the game away. Brandon League gave up a single to Hernandez and intentionally walked Jose Reyes to put men on the corners with one out. Lee's two-run double and Solano's RBI single made it a 7-2 game.
The Dodgers got one run back in the ninth. Steve Cishek gave up a leadoff double to Victorino, who moved to third on Mark Ellis' groundout and scored on Kemp's groundout. Ethier struck out looking to end the game.
Blanton fell to 7-5 in 13 career starts against the Marlins, while Nolasco improved to 1-2 in five career starts against the Dodgers...Los Angeles fell to 8-1 in the eastern time zone this year...Kemp had three hits.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Aug 11 10:16 PM
- Matt Kemp grounded out short to first scored Shane Victorino. None on with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Marlins 7 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 11 10:13 PM
- Donovan Solano singled to right scored Carlos Lee. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Green due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 11 10:00 PM
- Carlos Lee doubled to left scored Gorkys Hernandez and Jose Reyes. Runner on second with one out and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 6 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 11 9:56 PM
- Justin Ruggiano singled to right scored Austin Kearns. Runner on first with two outs and Jose Reyes due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 11 8:54 PM
- Gorkys Hernandez sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored John Buck. On the play, Austin Kearns advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 11 8:52 PM
- John Buck doubled to center scored Nick Green. Runner on second with one out and Ricky Nolasco due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 11 8:48 PM
- Nick Green doubled to left scored Donovan Solano. Runner on second with one out and John Buck due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 1 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 11 8:46 PM
- Andre Ethier singled to center scored Matt Kemp. Runner on first with none out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 0 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 11 8:33 PM
- Shane Victorino grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored A.J. Ellis. On th eplay, Joe Blanton out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Dodgers 1, Marlins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 11 8:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22