Arias, Cain help Giants sweep DodgersAug 23, 2012 - 6:04 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Joaquin Arias belted a two-run homer in the opening inning and drove in a career-high five runs, and the San Francisco Giants completed a three-game sweep of the Los Angeles Dodgers with an 8-4 victory Wednesday night.
The Giants, who earned their first sweep of 3-or-more contests at Dodger Stadium since April 24-26, 2007, moved their lead to 2 1/2 games over Los Angeles atop the NL West.
Matt Cain (13-5) allowed seven hits and a run over seven innings to win his third straight start.
"Matt did a great job. He made pitches when he had to. The guys had great focus on defense," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
Angel Pagan had a pair of hits and scored three times, and Pablo Sandoval contributed two RBI for the Giants, winners in eight of their last 11 games.
Luis Cruz had two RBI for the Dodgers. Chris Capuano (11-9) surrendered six hits and six runs over five-plus innings to fall to 1-6 lifetime against the Giants.
Pagan doubled and Marco Scutaro singled prior to Sandoval's sacrifice fly to right field in the opening inning. One out later, Arias smacked a homer that skipped off the top of the wall in right-center field.
"Nothing really went our way this series," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "They got us on the ropes instantly."
The Dodgers saw an opportunity wasted in the fifth inning. With men on second and third, Shane Victorino struck out to cap the frame.
Capuano retired 13 batters in a row until Pagan singled to left field to start the sixth. Scutaro hit a ground-rule double to left field prior to Sandoval's line RBI single to left field.
Shawn Tolleson gave up a one-out RBI double to left-center field by Arias. Justin Christian walked with the bases full later in the inning for a 6-0 margin.
Hanley Ramirez singled in Andre Ethier in the bottom of the sixth inning, but Arias stroked a two-run double to center field in the seventh for an 8-1 lead.
Christian made a diving catch in left field to rob Juan Rivera of a hit in the bottom of the frame.
Matt Kemp hit a ground-rule RBI double in the LA eighth. Jeremy Affeldt, making his 600th career appearance, came in to relieve Clay Hensley. Affeldt loaded the bases before Santiago Casilla gave up a two-run, broken-bat single to Cruz. A.J. Ellis, though, grounded into an inning-ending double play.
Cain moved to 4-8 lifetime against the Dodgers and has won his last four decisions against them. He's 3-0 with a 1.61 ERA over his last three starts overall ... Capuano has lost four of hits last five decisions ... The Giants lead the season series, 7-5.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 23 1:19 AM
- Luis Cruz single to center scored Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier with one out. On the play, Juan Uribe advances to second. Runners on first and second and A.J. Ellis due up.
Giants 8, Dodgers 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 23 12:57 AM
- Matt Kemp ground-rule double to right center scored Mark Ellis with none out. Runner on second and Andre Ethier due up.
Giants 8, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 23 12:43 AM
- Joaquin Arias double to center scored Angel Pagan and Hunter Pence with two out. Runner on second and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 8, Dodgers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 23 12:17 AM
- Hanley Ramirez single to center scored Andre Ethier with two out. Runner on first and James Loney due up.
Giants 6, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 22 11:59 PM
- Justin Christian walked. Pablo Sandoval scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Matt Cain due up.
Giants 6, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 22 11:48 PM
- Joaquin Arias double to center scored Marco Scutaro with one out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to third. Runners on second and third and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 5, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 1 OutAug 22 11:41 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to left scored Angel Pagan with none out. On the play, Marco Scutaro advances to third. Runners on first and third and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 4, Dodgers 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 22 11:36 PM
- Joaquin Arias two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right center scored Marco Scutaro. Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 3, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 22 10:24 PM
- Pablo Sandoval sacrifice fly to right scored Angel Pagan with one out. Runner on first with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 22 10:17 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 10:13 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22