Dodgers battle back to beat GiantsSep 9, 2012 - 3:02 AM San Francisco, CA (Sports Network) - Adrian Gonzalez led off the ninth inning with a triple and scored the go-ahead run on Hanley Ramirez's double as the Los Angeles Dodgers fought back for a 3-2 win over the NL West-leading San Francisco Giants on Saturday.
The Dodgers had lost three straight games, including Friday's series-opener, and trailed 2-1 in the eighth when pinch-runner Alex Castellanos scored the tying run on a wild pitch by Matt Cain.
Ronald Belisario (5-1) worked around a pair of walks in the bottom half and Gonzalez began the ninth with his first triple of the season before Ramirez lined a double to center off Jeremy Affeldt (1-2).
Brandon League allowed Gregor Blanco's two-out double in the home half before lining out Hector Sanchez to pick up his second save of the season.
The Dodgers, who announced earlier Saturday that All-Star Matt Kemp will miss at least the rest of the series to undergo an MRI on his left shoulder, now trail the Giants by 4 1/2 games in the division.
"It gives us a chance to win the series," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Saturday's result. "It's kind of a life line for us, trying to win a series...pick up a game."
Buster Posey went 2-for-3 with a double and an RBI in the loss.
Cain, in his first start since allowing five runs in five innings against the Cubs, was charged with two runs on six hits over 7 1/3 frames.
Chris Capuano countered with a seven-inning start and gave up two runs on five hits. He also singled and scored a run.
The Giants took a first-inning lead when Marco Scutaro doubled with one down, moved up on Pablo Sandoval's single, and scored on Posey's base hit.
Capuano singled in the sixth and advanced to third base on a single by Mark Ellis before Shane Victorino lifted a game-tying sacrifice fly to center field.
Posey led off the seventh with a double to left and Hunter Pence followed with a sac bunt before Brandon Belt's one-out RBI groundout put San Francisco back on top.
Cain, though, couldn't hold the lead.
Juan Rivera began the eighth with a two-bagger, A. J. Ellis moved him up with a sac bunt, and the pinch-running Castellanos crossed home plate with the equalizer on a wild pitch.
"There's a lot of baseball left," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "It's gonna be a fight and we know it. That's our nature. We don't do anything easy."
Mark Ellis extended his hit streak to six games ... The Giants entered Saturday with a 5 1/2 lead in the NL West -- marking their largest lead in the division since 2003.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
Sep 8 6:59 PM
- Hanley Ramirez double to center scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on second with none out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Giants 2 Top 9, 0 OutsSep 8 6:36 PM
- Wild pitch scored Alex Castellanos. None on with one out and Bobby Abreu at the plate.
Dodgers 2, Giants 2 Top 8, 1 OutSep 8 6:11 PM
- Brandon Belt lined out pitcher to first scored Buster Posey. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Gregor Blanco due up.
Dodgers 1, Giants 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 8 5:58 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez flied out to left to end the inning.
Dodgers 1, Giants 1 Mid 6Sep 8 5:32 PM
- Buster Posey single to third scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Dodgers 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 8 4:18 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 8 4:05 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22