Dodgers start do-or-die set with GiantsOct 1, 2012 - 2:54 PM (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Dodgers are one victory shy of matching their longest winning streak of the year. If they hope to make the playoffs, they'll need to set a new season high and get some help.
The Dodgers begin a do-or-die three-game series on Monday night with the San Francisco Giants still on the outside of the wild card picture.
Despite a victory in five straight games -- their longest string of victories since another five-game run from July 18-23 -- the Dodgers sit two games behind the St. Louis Cardinals for the second wild card in the NL with three to play. While Los Angeles hosts NL West-champion San Francisco, St. Louis is taking on the Cincinnati Reds, who have already won the NL Central.
Los Angeles got two-run homers from Matt Kemp, Luis Cruz and A.J. Ellis in Sunday's 7-1 win over the Colorado Rockies and have outscored its opponents 34-7 over the five-game win streak.
The Dodgers have won a season-high six games in a row twice this year, last doing so on May 17-22.
"We painted ourselves into this corner," said Dodgers manager Don Mattingly. "If we do what we have to do, St. Louis will have to win two games. We're forcing them to win games."
Mattingly turns to veteran Aaron Harang, who won for the first time in six starts on Wednesday at the San Diego Padres. He scattered four hits and four walks over 5 1/3 scoreless innings, striking out three in his first victory since Aug. 18.
The 34-year-old righty is 10-10 with a 3.68 earned run average in 30 starts this season and will face the Giants for the first time in 2012. He is 7-7 against them in 17 career starts with a 3.22 ERA.
Things won't be easy for the Dodgers tonight as they square off with the Giants' Matt Cain, who is likely to start Game 1 of the National League Division Series and gets one final tuneup tonight.
Cain has won three straight starts, giving up just two runs in that span, and is 6-0 with a 2.18 ERA over his last nine outings. He logged seven shutout innings in a win over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Wednesday, working around four hits and a walk with six strikeouts.
The right-hander, who will pitch on his 28th birthday, is 16-5 this season with a 2.77 ERA. He has made three starts in 2012 versus the Dodgers, going 1-0 with a 2.53 ERA.
That has made Cain's career numbers in this series a bit more respectable as he sits 4-8 lifetime against the Dodgers with a 3.40 ERA.
The Giants have won four of their last five and rallied for a 7-5 win over the San Diego Padres on Sunday.
Down by a run in the ninth, Xavier Nady hit a pinch-hit solo homer to even things up and Hunter Pence added a go-ahead two-run homer in the frame.
"I liked the way the guys kept getting after it, especially after it was ugly there early," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said.
San Francisco has won five of its last six versus Los Angeles and lead the season series 9-6.
- Elian Herrera singled off second baseman into center scored Hanley Ramirez with one out to end the game.
Giants 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 9, 1 OutOct 2 1:05 AM
- Marco Scutaro singled to left scored Angel Pagan. Runner on second with one out as Scutaro advanced to second on the throw home and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 2, Dodgers 2 Top 8, 1 OutOct 2 12:32 AM
- Andre Ethier none-out, two-run Home Run (20) to center scored Mark Ellis. Matt Kemp due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsOct 1 11:09 PM
- Buster Posey doubled to left scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on second with two outs and Hunter Pence due up.
Giants 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsOct 1 10:15 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Oct 1 10:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22