Nationals edge Marlins in 10 inningsApr 21, 2012 - 11:12 PM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Wilson Ramos scored the winning run on Ian Desmond's sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 10th inning, as the Washington Nationals overcame Brad Lidge's second blown save of the season to edge the Miami Marlins, 3-2.
Ramos singled off Edward Mujica (0-1) to the begin the 10th and Adam LaRoche followed with a grounder to first. Gaby Sanchez fielded the ball, spun and fired to second base. The high throw deflected off the glove of a leaping Jose Reyes, allowing Ramos to advance to third before he scored on Desmond's fly ball to center field.
Desmond and Jayson Werth both homered off Miami starter Anibal Sanchez, who struck out eight over seven innings.
The Marlins tied it in the ninth against Lidge when Logan Morrison followed a leadoff walk by Hanley Ramirez with a home run to the upper deck seats in right field. It was just the third home run surrendered by Washington pitchers this season.
Lidge walked two more batters before pinch-hitter Omar Infante grounded into a fielder's choice to end the inning.
Washington manager Davey Johnson liked how his team didn't panic after the Marlins tied the game.
"It shows the character of this ball club. There was no letdown," Johnson said.
Stephen Strasburg scattered four hits, walked one and fanned six in six frames. Tom Gorzelanny (1-0) tossed a flawless 10th to earn the win, the 12th in the Nationals' first 16 games of 2012.
Miami had a four-game winning streak snapped with Friday's 2-0 setback in the opener of this three-game set.
"We're facing a pretty good pitching staff, you cannot deny that," said Miami manager Ozzie Guillen. "Hopefully, tomorrow we'll swing the bats better."
Reyes doubled to lead off the fourth and advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt. Strasburg escaped the jam by retiring Ramirez on a 4-3 grounder and Morrison on a fly ball to left.
The Marlins put two men on base in the sixth, but Morrison grounded out to short to end the inning.
In the bottom of the sixth, Desmond crushed a 2-0 pitch to deep left field. Werth then led off the seventh with his first home run of the year, a blast that landed in the front row of the left-field seats.
Strasburg lowered his earned run average to 1.08. He has given up a total of three runs over 25 innings this season...Nationals third baseman Ryan Zimmerman was a late scratch due to mild right shoulder inflammation. He is listed as day-to-day...Miami finished 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
- MIAMI: 2
Apr 21 3:55 PM
- Ian Desmond sacrifice fly out to center scored Wilson Ramos with one out to end the game.
Marlins 2, Nationals 3 Bot 10, 1 OutApr 21 3:55 PM
- Logan Morrison none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Hanley Ramirez. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 2 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 21 3:22 PM
- Jayson Werth lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Rick Ankiel due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsApr 21 2:55 PM
- Ian Desmond one-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Danny Espinosa due up.
Marlins 0, Nationals 1 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 21 2:40 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 21 1:09 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21