Stanton lifts Marlins past GiantsMay 3, 2012 - 7:20 AM
Stanton ended his night with three hits, Omar Infante knocked in a run and Gaby Sanchez also scored a run for the Marlins, who have taken the first two games of this series.
Steve Cishek (3-0) picked up the win with two scoreless innings, while Santiago Casilla (0-1) was saddled with the loss after giving up Stanton's homer.
Gregor Blanco and Joaquin Arias knocked in runs for the Giants, who have dropped three of their last five contests.
Trailing 2-0 heading into their final at-bat, the Giants finally cracked the scoreboard with a pair of runs in the bottom of the ninth. Brandon Belt started the inning against Heath Bell with a double into left-center and scored on a single down the right-field line by Arias to make it 2-1.
Buster Posey slapped a single to right as a pinch-hitter and Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen pulled Bell in favor of Cishek. After pinch-hitter Brett Pill fanned, Blanco dropped down a perfect safety-squeeze bunt which couldn't be handled by Cishek, allowing Arias to score the tying run.
Earlier, Miami opened the scoring in its first at-bat. Emilio Bonifacio drew a one-out walk and moved to second on a single by Ramirez. Bonifacio then advanced to third on a passed ball and scored on a fielder's choice groundout by Infante to give the Marlins the early lead.
The Marlins added a run in the second inning. Sanchez led off the frame with a walk and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Marlins starter Carlos Zambrano. Jose Reyes then walked to put two runners on base and Sanchez scored on a fielding error by Arias to make it 2-0.
Brandon Belt beat out an infield single to start the San Francisco second and Brando Crawford reached on infield hit. A sacrifice bunt by Giants starter Barry Zito moved both runners up and Blanco walked to load the bases with two outs. Zambrano got Pagan to ground into a fielder's choice to end the inning.
Pagan has hit safely in a career-high 16 games...Zambrano tossed seven shutout innings, giving up just five hits and three walks while fanning five...Zito gave up two runs -- one earned -- on two hits and seven walks...Sandoval left the game in the seventh inning...Bell gave up two runs on three hits in the ninth and his ERA increased to 11.74.
- MIAMI: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
May 3 1:43 AM
- Giancarlo Stanton one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Marlins 3, Giants 2 Top 10, 1 OutMay 3 1:32 AM
- Gregor Blanco bunt single to first scored Joaquin Arias. On the play, Pinch-runner Emmanuel Burris advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Angel Pagan due up.
Marlins 2, Giants 2 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 3 1:23 AM
- Joaquin Arias singled to right scored Brandon Belt. Runner on first with none out and Brandon Crawford due up.
Marlins 2, Giants 1 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 3 1:12 AM
- Emilio Bonifacio reached first on Joaquin Arias's fielding error scored Gaby Sanchez. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 2, Giants 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 2 10:57 PM
- Omar Infante grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Emilio Bonifacio. Austin Kearns out at second Hanley Ramirez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 2 10:31 PM
- MIAMI: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 2 10:15 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21