Marlins hold off GiantsMay 26, 2012 - 4:43 AM
The struggling Chris Coghlan drilled his first homer in 11 months, a three- run shot as part of a five-run sixth inning, and Giancarlo Stanton smacked his 10th homer of the month as the Miami Marlins hung on for a 7-6 win over the San Francisco Giants in the second installment of a four- game set.
Coghlan was hitting .104 prior to his first homer since last June 11.
"I don't even know what I'm hitting. I just know it's not good," Coghlan said. "You don't think about those things. Every time you step in the box you try to feel like you're hitting 1.000."
Johnson, who allowed two runs or fewer in his prior three starts, surrendered three runs on nine hits and a walk in five frames. He's lowered his ERA from 6.61 on May 4 to 4.87.
Stanton had two hits, two RBI and a pair of runs scored for Miami, which recorded its franchise-record 17th win in May.
Steve Chisek picked up his first save of the season after scuffling All- Star closer Heath Bell gave up two runs on three hits in one-third of an inning before being lifted.
Dan Jennings (1-0) picked up the win with a 1-2-3 sixth frame.
Lincecum (2-5) was charged with six runs on six hits and four walks in 5 2/3 innings. His ERA has ballooned to 6.41 on the year.
"Aside of that (sixth inning), I think I pitched fine," Lincecum said.
The two-time NL Cy Young Award winner has surrendered four-or-more runs in seven of his 10 starts this season after allowing four-plus runs in just eight outings last year.
Big innings has been Lincecum's downfall. The Marlins' five-run sixth was the fourth time that Lincecum was tagged for four-or-more runs in a frame this season.
The Giants held a 3-1 edge after five frames before the Marlins exploded in the sixth.
Omar Infante started it with a double and scored two batters later on Stanton's single to center. Logan Morrison walked and Bryan Petersen singled to load the bases. John Buck lifted a sacrifice fly to center, plating Stanton.
Coghlan came up next and belted a three-run blast to right, chasing Lincecum out of the game and giving Miami a 6-3 advantage.
The Marlins tallied another run in the seventh inning on Hanley Ramirez's RBI single before Buster Posey's run-scoring groundout in the eighth made it a 7-4 game.
In the ninth, Chisek came on with runners on second and third and a run already in with one out after Bell struggled again. He has an 8.10 ERA on the year.
Brandon Crawford lifted a sacrifice fly to left to make it 7-6, but Chisek struck out Melky Cabrera looking to end the game.
Earlier, Joaquin Arias grounded into a double play in the second inning for the Giants' first run. Angel Pagan's RBI single in the third gave the visitors a 2-0 lead.
The Marlins got on the board in the fourth frame when Stanton pulverized a solo shot and became the first player to hit one into the sculpture in center, cutting the deficit to 2-1.
But the Giants countered in the fifth inning when Cabrera cracked a solo shot over the wall in right, giving San Francisco a 3-1 edge.
Stanton's home run in the fourth was the first longball Lincecum had allowed in 50 1/3 innings...The most homers recorded in May by a Marlins players is 12 by Dan Uggla in 2008...San Francisco was 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position while Miami was 4-for-10.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
May 25 10:15 PM
- Brandon Crawford sacrifice fly out to left scored Brandon Belt. Runner on second with two outs and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 6, Marlins 7 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 25 10:12 PM
- Brandon Belt singled to center scored Joaquin Arias. Runner on first with one out and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 5, Marlins 7 Top 9, 1 OutMay 25 10:04 PM
- Buster Posey grounded out second to first scored Melky Cabrera. None on with one out and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 4, Marlins 7 Top 8, 1 OutMay 25 9:45 PM
- Hanley Ramirez singled to center scored Omar Infante. Runner on first with one out and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Giants 3, Marlins 7 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 25 9:38 PM
- Chris Coghlan two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right scored Logan Morrison and Bryan Petersen. Dan Jennings due up.
Giants 3, Marlins 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 25 9:14 PM
- John Buck sacrifice fly out to center scored Giancarlo Stanton. On the play, Bryan Petersen advances to second and Logan Morrison advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Chris Coghlan due up.
Giants 3, Marlins 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 25 9:13 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton stole second. Runner on second with one out and Logan Morrison at the plate.
Giants 3, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 25 9:05 PM
- Melky Cabrera two-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Buster Posey due up.
Giants 3, Marlins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 25 8:34 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton two-out, solo Home Run (11) to left center. Logan Morrison due up.
Giants 2, Marlins 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 25 8:25 PM
- Chris Coghlan flied out to left. None on with one out and Josh Johnson due up.
Giants 2, Marlins 0 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 25 8:06 PM
- Joaquin Arias grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Angel Pagan. On the play, Aubrey Huff out at second. None on with two outs and Ryan Theriot due up.
Giants 1, Marlins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 25 7:40 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21