Marlins use long ball to outlast NationalsMay 28, 2012 - 10:35 PM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Giancarlo Stanton hit a two-run homer and Logan Morrison added a solo shot to lead the Miami Marlins past the Washington Nationals, 5-3, in the first of a three-game set.
Hanley Ramirez and Chris Coghlan each drove in a run for the Marlins, who have won three of their last four.
Carlos Zambrano (3-3) allowed three runs on seven hits and fanned five over six-plus innings.
Ryan Zimmerman drove in a pair of runs and Jordan Zimmermann helped his own cause with a solo home run for the Nationals, who had a three-game winning streak halted.
Zimmermann (3-5) took the loss after giving up four runs on eight hits over six frames.
Washington went ahead 1-0 in the third on Zimmermann's first career home run.
Morrison tied it in the home fourth when he crushed a 2-2 fastball into the right-field stands.
A two-RBI double from Zimmerman in the fifth gave Washington a 3-1 edge.
Miami scored three in the sixth to go ahead 4-3. Ramirez singled before Stanton hammered his 12th homer of the season. Morrison followed with a double, moved to third when Bryan Petersen singled and scored on Coghlan's sacrifice fly.
"Two pitches is what it comes down to for me," said Zimmermann. "The one to Morrison early, the solo home run, I wasn't too worried about that, it was a pretty decent pitch. He was trying to ambush me and then got the barrel out there. But the one to Stanton and then the one Hanley (Ramirez) kind of, you know, two bad pitches and it cost me the game."
Washington put two on in the seventh with no outs, but Coghlan made a spectacular sliding catch and Edward Mujica induced an inning-ending 6-4-3 double play to help the Marlins escape the threat.
"The home run by Stanton lifted the team's spirits up, and I think after that things changed a little bit in the game," said Miami manager Ozzie Guillen. "I think the play in left by Coghlan was huge, it was huge. If that ball lands that changes the game completely."
Miami added an insurance run in the seventh courtesy of three hustle plays from Jose Reyes. Reyes dropped a single in front of Ankiel but the center fielder hesitated just long enough to allow the fleet-footed shortstop to turn it into a double. On the next play, Omar Infante grounded out, but as soon as Reyes saw Zimmerman fire to first he took off and slid safely into third. Ramirez followed with a sac fly to score Reyes.
Heath bell tossed a perfect ninth to secure his eighth save.
"I thought we battled, we played a great game," said Nationals' outfielder Steve Lombardozzi. "It's tough to come back, getting in so late last night, but I thought we battled and we played real well."
Reyes extended his hitting streak to nine games...Petersen has hit safely in six straight...Stanton has 11 home runs in May. He is one short of tying Dan Uggla for the most in one month in Marlins history...Washington's Chad Tracy was placed on the 15-day disabled list prior to the game. Corey Brown was called up from Triple-A Syracuse. Jayson Werth was moved to the 60-day disabled list.
- WASHINGTON: 3
May 28 4:00 PM
- Hanley Ramirez sacrifice fly to center scored Jose Reyes. None on with two outs and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 28 3:35 PM
- Chris Coghlan sacrifice fly to left scored Logan Morrison. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Zambrano due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 28 3:02 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Hanley Ramirez. Logan Morrison is due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 28 2:53 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman doubled to left-center scoring Steve Lombardozzi and Bryce Harper. Runner on second with one out and Adam LaRoche due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 1 Top 5, 1 OutMay 28 2:31 PM
- Logan Morrison lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Bryan Petersen is due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 28 2:16 PM
- Jordan Zimmermann one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Steve Lombardozzi is due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 0 Top 3, 1 OutMay 28 1:47 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21