Marlins keep rolling with win over NatsMay 30, 2012 - 3:29 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - The Miami Marlins may never want the month of May to end.
Anibal Sanchez continued his dominance over the Nationals, Greg Dobbs lifted a go-ahead sacrifice fly in the bottom of the seventh inning and Hanley Ramirez smacked two hits, including a solo homer, as the Marlins set a new franchise record for the most wins in a month with a 3-1 win over Washington in the middle installment of a three-game set.
After skidding to an 8-14 start in April, Miami has erased its early struggles with a major league-best 20-8 record in May. The 20 wins surpasses the previous mark of 19 set in August of 1997, the year the Marlins won their first World Series.
"Obviously it's a nice thing for the organization," said Miami manager Ozzie Guillen of the record.
Sanchez (3-3) fanned five and was charged with an unearned run on three hits in seven innings. He improved to 8-0 in his career against the Nationals.
"He threw strikes, changed speeds and located as well," said Guillen of Sanchez's outing.
Bryce Harper extended his hitting streak to nine games with a triple in the sixth inning, while Edwin Jackson (1-3) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on five hits and three walks in 6 2/3 innings for Washington.
"It was a well-pitched ballgame on both parts," Jackson said. "(It came down to) who can make the least amount of mistakes."
With the game tied 1-1 in the seventh, Chris Coghlan reached with a one-out seeing-eye single through the middle of the infield. He scampered to third when Jackson threw the ball away on a pickoff attempt and hustled home on Dobbs' pinch-hit sacrifice fly to left, putting the Marlins in front 2-1.
Xavier Nady began the away eighth frame with a pinch-hit single and advanced to second on Carlos Maldanado's sacrifice bunt. Steve Chisek took over for Randy Choate on the mound and surrendered back-to-back walks to load the bases.
But Chisek escaped unscathed as he struck out Harper swinging with an elevated fastball and got Ryan Zimmerman with a broken-bat groundout to third.
The Marlins added an insurance run in the home half as Ramirez laced a leadoff homer over the wall in left for a 3-1 Marlins advantage.
Heath Bell worked around a two-out double in the ninth for his ninth save of the year.
Earlier, Ramirez's double in the first was the only hit by either team through the first four innings, but Washington needed just one to get on the scoreboard in the fifth.
Ian Desmond led off with single to left, stole second and moved to third on John Buck's throwing error. After Rick Ankiel struck out, Desmond came home on Corey Brown's suicide squeeze to make it 1-0.
The Marlins registered a pair of hits in the sixth frame to tie the score. Omar Infante drilled a one-out double off the fence and came home two batters later on Giancarlo Stanton's double down the left-field line.
Jose Reyes went 1-for-4 for Miami and extended his hitting streak to 10 games...Miami has gone 5-2 against the NL East in May...Sanchez was winless over his last four outings coming in...Stanton's RBI was his 28th of the month.
- WASHINGTON: 1
May 29 9:58 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton singled to center. Runner on first with none out and Logan Morrison due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsMay 29 9:37 PM
- Jose Reyes singled to left. Runner on first with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsMay 29 9:11 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton doubled to left scored Omar Infante. Runner on second with two outs and Logan Morrison due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 29 8:49 PM
- Corey Brown sacrifice bunt to catcher scored Ian Desmond. None on with two outs and Carlos Maldonado due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 0 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 29 8:24 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 7:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21