Eovaldi gets win in Marlins debutJul 29, 2012 - 6:28 AM
Eovaldi (2-6), who was acquired from the Los Angeles Dodgers on Wednesday, held the Padres to one run on five hits and two walks in 5 1/3 innings. He also struck out five.
Despite changing coasts and jerseys, Eovaldi remained hot. Over his last four starts, he is 2-1 with a 2.67 earned run average.
"He pitched well. He has a great arm," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said about Eovaldi. "Besides having a great arm, he knows how to pitch. I'm very happy with what he did today."
Jose Reyes homered to extend his hitting streak to 15 games, as the Marlins snapped a three-game losing streak and won for just the second time in their last 10 games.
Ross Ohlendorf (3-1) lost for the first time this season after allowing three runs on four hits and two walks in six innings.
Yonder Alonso picked up two hits and drove in a run for the second straight night, as the Padres dropped the middle installment of this three-game set.
Emilio Bonifacio got the Marlins started with a leadoff walk in the first inning. He stole second and came around to score on Carlos Lee's base hit.
Eovaldi helped his own cause when he legged out an infield single in the third inning. Reyes drove him home with his two-run home run down the right-field line.
The Padres wasted a chance with runners at the corners in the fourth, but finally scored off Eovaldi in the sixth. Chase Headley and Yasmani Grandal singled to put runners on the corners with one out. Alonso laced a double to the right-field corner to plate Headley and end Eovaldi's night. Edward Mujica, however, entered and diffused the threat, inducing a fielder's choice and striking out Everth Cabrera to end the rally.
"We had some opportunities and we didn't cash in," Padres manager Bud Black said.
Justin Ruggiano's home run in the seventh off Alex Hinshaw gave Miami a 4-1 lead. It also marked the first time in 10 games the Marlins have scored more than three runs.
The Padres were able to pick up a run in the eighth inning after Carlos Quentin doubled. He advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on Grandal's sacrifice fly.
Steve Cishek put the Padres away in order in the ninth to nail down his fourth save.
Reyes hit his fifth home run of July, the most he has hit in a month since he tallied five in June 2010...The Marlins have won four of five against the Padres this season...Miami snapped a nine-game home losing streak against San Diego...Ohlendorf has recorded three straight quality starts for the first time since August 7-18, 2010...Eovaldi was acquired with Scott McGough from Los Angeles for Hanley Ramirez and Randy Choate...The Padres went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven...The Marlins went 1-for-3 with RISP and left two on base.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
Jul 28 9:38 PM
- Yasmani Grandal sacrifice fly out to center scored Carlos Quentin. None on with two outs and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 2, Marlins 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 28 9:19 PM
- Logan Morrison popped out to third. None on with one out and John Buck due up.
Padres 1, Marlins 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 28 9:07 PM
- Yonder Alonso doubled to right scored Chase Headley. On the play, Yasmani Grandal advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 1, Marlins 3 Top 6, 1 OutJul 28 8:45 PM
- Carlos Quentin was hit-by-pitch. Runner on first with none out and Yasmani Grandal due up.
Padres 0, Marlins 3 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 28 8:07 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to right scored Emilio Bonifacio. Runner on first with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Padres 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 28 7:29 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 28 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22