Nationals use big eighth inning to beat MarlinsAug 5, 2012 - 6:18 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Danny Espinosa smoked a three-run home run and Bryce Harper roped a solo shot as part of a six-run eighth inning, as the Washington Nationals rallied for a 10-7 win over the Miami Marlins in the third installment of a four-game series on Saturday.
Adam LaRoche continued his offensive hot streak with two solo home runs, while Steve Lombardozzi, Tyler Moore, Ryan Zimmerman and Michael Morse contributed an RBI single each for the Nationals, who have won three of their last four games.
Ryan Mattheus (4-1) got the win with 1 2/3 scoreless innings in relief of starter Jordan Zimmermann, who allowed five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and a walk over five innings.
"We didn't play very well, but we persevered," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said. "It was fun, really fun."
Carlos Lee drove in a pair of runs and Jose Reyes went 3-for-4 with four runs scored to extend his career-best hitting streak to 23 games for the Marlins, who have dropped three of their last four games. Donovan Solano also knocked in two runs in the setback.
Mike Dunn (0-1) was saddled with the loss after allowing six unearned runs on four hits in the decisive eighth inning.
Trailing, 6-4, after seven innings, the Nationals exploded for six runs in the eighth to take control of the game.
Dunn got Morse to ground out weakly to second to begin the inning, but fumbled an easy underhand flip at first which allowed LaRoche to reach base and set the stage for the huge rally.
"Dunn was making some good pitches, but had that mental mistake and dropped that ball," Marlins starter Mark Buehrle said. "That's what you do in spring training. Do it nine out of 10 times or 10 out of 10 times and he's going to make that play. Unfortunately, he didn't and that's pretty much what cost us that game."
After the error to Dunn, Jayson Werth took a walk and Lombardozzi ripped one back up the middle to score LaRoche and make it a one-run game. Moore then entered the game as a pinch-hitter and lined a base hit into right which scored Werth to tie things at six.
Espinosa and crushed a 2-2 hanging slider from Dunn over the wall in left to give the Nats the lead for good. Harper followed and tattooed a high fastball into the second deck in right, extending the lead to 10-7 and sending Dunn to the clubhouse.
Solano plated Reyes with a single in the top of the ninth to cap the scoring.
Earlier, the Marlins jumped on top early with a pair of runs in the second inning. Lee was plunked and Solano walked to start the inning before Gorkys Hernandez grounded into a fielder's choice, which allowed Lee to score on a throwing gaffe by Espinosa. John Buck then ripped a double into right which scored Hernandez for the 2-0 lead.
Washington quickly got a run back in the home portion of the inning when LaRoche got a fastball up and drove it into the seats in right for his 22nd home run of the season.
Reyes laced a two-out double and came around to score on a base hit by Lee in the third to widen the lead to 3-1, but Washington came right back with two runs in the bottom of the frame to tie the game at three.
Zimmermann coaxed a one-out walk from Buehrle and Espinosa followed with a single. Zimmermann moved to third on a groundout by Harper and Ryan Zimmerman cane through with a base hit up the middle to score the Nats' righty. Morse then singled home Zimmerman to knot the game.
The Marlins went ahead with a pair of runs in the fifth to make it 5-3. Bryan Petersen started the frame with a base hit and moved into scoring position on a sacrifice bunt by Scott Cousins. Reyes then reached with an infield single and Petersen scored when Espinosa threw the ball away. The Marlins' speedy shortstop then stole second and scored on a double to deep center by Lee.
LaRoche went deep again leading off the Washington sixth, but the Marlins got the run right back in the seventh when Reyes raced home on a well-placed sacrifice bunt up the first-base line, making it a 6-4 contest.
Prior to Saturday's game, the Marlins placed outfielder Emilio Bonifacio on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained left thumb and recalled infielder Nick Green from Triple-A New Orleans...Washington improved to 6-6 against the Marlins in 2012...LaRoche has 14 RBI in his last 11 contests...Morse (1-for-5) extended his hitting streak to 13 games...The Nationals committed three errors...Buehrle allowed four runs on seven hits and two walks over six innings.
- MIAMI: 7
Aug 4 10:15 PM
- Donovan Solano single to left scored Jose Reyes with two out. Runner on first and Gorkys Hernandez due up.
Marlins 7, Nationals 10 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 4 10:14 PM
- Bryce Harper two-out, solo Home Run (10) to right. Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Marlins 6, Nationals 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 4 9:57 PM
- Danny Espinosa two-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left scored Steve Lombardozzi and Tyler Moore. Bryce Harper due up.
Marlins 6, Nationals 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 4 9:54 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi single to center scored Adam LaRoche with two out. On the play, Jayson Werth advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ryan Mattheus due up.
Marlins 6, Nationals 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 4 9:50 PM
- Donovan Solano sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Jose Reyes with two out. On the play, Greg Dobbs advances to second. Runner on second and Gorkys Hernandez due up.
Marlins 6, Nationals 4 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 4 9:20 PM
- Adam LaRoche lead off Home Run 2 (23) to center. Jayson Werth due up.
Marlins 5, Nationals 4 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 4 8:55 PM
- Carlos Lee double to center scored Jose Reyes with one out. Runner on second and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 5, Nationals 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 4 8:29 PM
- Jose Reyes stole second. Runner on second with one out and Carlos Lee at the plate.
Marlins 4, Nationals 3 Top 5, 1 OutAug 4 8:27 PM
- Adam LaRoche grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Marlins 3, Nationals 3 End 3Aug 4 7:59 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman single to center scored Jordan Zimmermann with two out. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael Morse due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 4 7:56 PM
- Carlos Lee single to right scored Jose Reyes with two out. Runner on first and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 3, Nationals 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 4 7:40 PM
- Adam LaRoche one-out, solo Home Run (22) to right. Jayson Werth due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 4 7:31 PM
- John Buck double to right scored Gorkys Hernandez with two out. Runner on second and Mark Buehrle due up.
Marlins 2, Nationals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 4 7:26 PM
- Gorkys Hernandez grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. Donovan Solano out at second. On the play, Carlos Lee scored on Danny Espinosa's throwing error with two out. Runner on second and John Buck due up.
Marlins 1, Nationals 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 4 7:25 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 4 7:07 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21