Reyes extends hit streak, Marlins extend Mets' home losing skidAug 8, 2012 - 4:25 AM
Reyes' only hit came during a four-run fourth inning that was highlighted by John Buck's two-run double. Stanton, sidelined since undergoing right knee surgery in early July, added a sacrifice fly and the Marlins' bullpen pitched the final five innings to preserve the win in the series opener.
Wade LeBlanc, making the start for Miami on his 28th birthday, worked four scoreless innings before yielding Daniel Murphy's leadoff homer in the fifth.
"Any time you can spend a birthday in the majors leagues is enjoyable. It's icing on the cake that I got to pitch and we got the win," LeBlanc said.
The reliever turned starter earlier this month was pulled in favor of Chad Gaudin, who gave up another run in the frame on Andres Torres' RBI single.
But Gaudin stranded the bases loaded in the frame, and the Mets failed to record a hit against the combination of Carlos Zambrano (7-9), Michael Dunn, Heath Bell and Steve Cishek.
Cishek tossed a perfect ninth to notch his seventh save of the season.
Jonathon Niese (8-6) surrendered four runs and eight hits over six innings to take the loss, New York's eighth straight at home -- the most since the club's move to Citi Field in 2009.
Miami recorded three straight hits to open the fourth inning, the last a run- scoring base hit by Carlos Lee. Reyes, who beat out a dribbler down the first- base line, scored on Stanton's sac fly before Buck capped the frame by slicing one into the right-field corner to bring in a pair.
"That's been my Achilles heel this year, giving up those big innings," Niese said.
Reyes' hit streak is a career high and the longest in the majors this year...Lee has hit safely in 12 straight games...Mets shortstop Ruben Tejada went 1-for-5 to extend his hitting streak to a career-best 12 games...The Mets stranded 11 runners.
- MIAMI: 4
NEW YORK: 2
Aug 7 10:11 PM
- Ike Davis advances to third and Andres Torres advances to second on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Josh Thole at the plate.
Marlins 4, Mets 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 7 8:56 PM
- Daniel Murphy lead-off Home Run (4) to right. David Wright is due up.
Marlins 4, Mets 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 7 8:42 PM
- John Buck doubled to right scoring Carlos Lee and Austin Kearns. Runner on third with two outs as Buck advanced on the throw to home and Wade LeBlanc due up.
Marlins 4, Mets 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 7 8:17 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton sacrifice fly to center scored Jose Reyes. Runner on first with one out and Austin Kearns due up.
Marlins 2, Mets 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 7 8:12 PM
- Carlos Lee singled to left scoring Justin Ruggiano. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 1, Mets 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 7 8:10 PM
- MIAMI: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21