Mets score 4 in 9th, top MarlinsSep 2, 2012 - 3:57 AM
With runners on first and second Lucas Duda ripped a single to center to score Daniel Murphy.
After Mike Baxter popped out, Andres Torres walked to load the bases. Shoppach delivered a base hit up the middle. Marlins center fielder Justin Ruggiano charged the ball to attempt a throw home, but the ball bounced off the heel of his glove and rolled past him, allowing all three runners to score.
"Things like that in that situation in this game, no matter where you are in the season, those are always big moments," Shoppach said. "Not only personally, but as far as the momentum we have going for us."
Frank Francisco pitched a perfect ninth to nail down the win for New York. It was his 23rd save of the year and sealed New York's sixth win in seven games.
Ramon Ramirez (3-3) earned the victory, despite giving up a run in the bottom of the eighth inning.
Josh Johnson worked eight strong innings, allowing just one run on three hits while striking out four, but Steve Cishek (4-2) couldn't close the door in the ninth.
"It is disappointing, we played awesome today," Cishek said. "Getting the extra run makes it a little more comfortable, but they squared it up pretty good and ground balls didn't find anyone they got the job done. It happens."
The Marlins got on the board in the third when Bryan Peterson doubled to score Donovan Solano.
New York tied the game in the fifth when Baxter scored on a Josh Thole groundout. Baxter broke up Johnson's no-hit bid with a leadoff double to left- center field then moved to third when Torres grounded out.
Miami took the lead once again in the sixth when Jose Reyes scored on Giancarlo Stanton's infield single. Back-to-back base hits from Reyes and Carlos Lee put runners on the corners before Stanton cued one down the first base line and beat Mets pitcher Jeremy Hefner to the bag.
The Marlins added another run in the eighth when Lee singled home Reyes.
"These guys are going to play it out, they're going to play it out hard," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "I just think there is a lot of fight left."
New York leads the season series 7-4 ... Prior to the game the Mets recalled catcher Mike Nickeas and infielder Zach Lutz from Buffalo Triple-A ... Reyes stole his 400th career base ... Hefner started for New York. He allowed two runs on six hits and struck out four ... Johnson is winless in his last five starts. His last win came Aug. 3 against the Washington Nationals.
- NEW YORK: 5
Sep 1 9:53 PM
- Kelly Shoppach single to center scored David Wright, Jason Bay and Andres Torres with two out. On the play, Kelly Shoppach advances to third on Justin Ruggiano's fielding error. Runner on third and Ramon Ramirez due up.
Mets 5, Marlins 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 1 9:42 PM
- Andres Torres walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Kelly Shoppach due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 3 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 1 9:41 PM
- Carlos Lee single to center, deflected by right scored Jose Reyes with one out. Runner on first and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 3 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 1 9:21 PM
- Greg Dobbs lined out to left. Runners on first and second with two outs and Donovan Solano due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 1 8:43 PM
- Josh Thole grounded out short to first scored Mike Baxter with two out. None on and Jeremy Hefner due up.
Mets 1, Marlins 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 1 8:19 PM
- Bryan Petersen double to center scored Donovan Solano with two out. Runner on second and Justin Ruggiano due up.
Mets 0, Marlins 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 1 7:47 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 1 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21