Lucroy drives in 7 as Brewers pound TwinsMay 20, 2012 - 10:24 PM
"The more experience you have, the more it helps you out," remarked Lucroy. "I feel more comfortable this year because I'm more familiar with the pitchers. That's the thing for me is just being more comfortable."
Zack Greinke (5-1) allowed just one run on five hits and two walks while striking out six to earn the victory.
Ryan Braun finished with three hits, four RBI and two runs scored while Corey Hart homered and plated two for the Brewers, who snapped a four-game skid.
Jason Marquis (2-4) didn't make it out of the second inning, allowing eight runs on eight hits and a walk before being sent to the showers with two outs in the second.
"Everything Marquis threw was up and you can't have that from your starter," said Minnesota manager Ron Gardenhire.
Josh Willingham and Brian Dozier each plated a run for the Twins, who saw their four-game winning streak come to an end.
Minnesota plated a run in the first as Ben Revere stroked a one-out double and came around to score two batters later on Willingham's single to left.
Milwaukee responded with two in the bottom half on a pair of solo homers as Hart led off the frame with a blast to left-center field and Lucroy followed suit three batters later with his third long ball of the season.
The Brewers scored six more in the second -- all with two outs. Travis Ishikawa started the inning with a single and Greinke moved him to third with a two-out single. Hart then plated Ishikawa with a single of his own, giving the Brewers a 3-1 edge.
After Nyjer Morgan walked to load the bases, Braun ripped a two-run double into center field and Lucroy followed with a blooper into shallow left field to score two more as the Brewers took a 7-1 lead.
Taylor Green was then plunked and Ishikawa laced a single into right field to score Lucroy and send Marquis to an early shower.
Milwaukee tacked on two more in the fourth as Morgan slapped a leadoff single before scoring on a double from Braun, who crossed home two batters later on a sacrifice fly from Green.
In the fifth, Greinke slapped a one-out single and came around to score on Braun's single to left, which made it 11-1 in favor of the home team.
A pair of singles and a hit-by-pitch loaded the bases in the seventh before pinch-hitter Norichika Aoki singled home a run.
Lucroy then cleared the bags with his first big league grand slam to give the Brewers a 16-1 lead.
Minnesota added a run in the eighth on a single from Dozier that plated Joe Mauer, who led off the frame with a double.
Catcher Drew Butera pitched the bottom of the eighth for Minnesota and induced a ground out before striking out Carlos Gomez with a 78 mph changeup.
"Butera looked like a catcher pitching," joked Gardenhire. "He threw hard and he said he had pitched in high school, so that's the only reason I put him out there."
The Twins then plated two more in the ninth as they loaded the bases before Darin Mastroianni reached on an error from shortstop Cesar Izturis to score Alexi Casilla and Kameron Loe walked Butera to make it a 16-4 game.
Marquis is now 6-11 in 19 career starts against the Brewers...Milwaukee reinstated Gomez from the 15-day disabled list and optioned infielder Brooks Conrad to Triple-A Nashville...The 16 runs scored by the Brewers was a season high...Greinke improved to 4-8 in 21 appearances against Minnesota.
- MINNESOTA: 4
May 20 5:36 PM
- Drew Butera walked Ben Revere scored on the play. Bases loaded with two outs and Brian Dozier due up.
Twins 4, Brewers 16 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 20 5:33 PM
- Darin Mastroianni reached first on Cesar Izturis's fielding error scored Alexi Casilla. On the play, Joe Mauer advances to second and Ben Revere advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Drew Butera due up.
Twins 3, Brewers 16 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 20 5:32 PM
- Trevor Plouffe grounded into a double play, third to second to first to end the inning.
Twins 2, Brewers 16 Mid 8May 20 5:05 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy none-out, Grand Slam 2 (4) to right scored Corey Hart, Nyjer Morgan and Norichika Aoki. Taylor Green due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 16 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 20 4:43 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Norichika Aoki singled to short scored Carlos Gomez. On the play, Nyjer Morgan advances to second and Corey Hart advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 12 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 20 4:42 PM
- Denard Span popped out to third. None on with one out and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 11 Top 6, 1 OutMay 20 3:59 PM
- Taylor Green sacrifice fly out to left scored Ryan Braun. None on with two outs and Travis Ishikawa due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 10 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 20 3:34 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to right scored Nyjer Morgan. Runner on second with none out and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 9 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 20 3:30 PM
- Travis Ishikawa singled to right scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Taylor Green advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Cesar Izturis due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 8 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 2:58 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy singled to left scored Nyjer Morgan and Ryan Braun. Runner on first with two outs and Taylor Green due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 7 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 2:55 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to center scored Zack Greinke and Corey Hart. On the play, Nyjer Morgan advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 2:54 PM
- Nyjer Morgan walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 2:52 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy two-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Taylor Green due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 20 2:27 PM
- Corey Hart lead-off Home Run (9) to left. Nyjer Morgan due up.
Twins 1, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 20 2:24 PM
- Justin Morneau struck out looking to end the inning.
Twins 1, Brewers 0 Mid 1May 20 2:20 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 2:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22