Brewers score 8 off Zito to beat GiantsMay 23, 2012 - 9:49 PM
Milwaukee starter Marco Estrada hit a two-run double in a six-run first inning but injured his leg rounding first base and came out of the game.
"When I saw the third baseman miss the ball I tried to push off and that's when I felt it pop," Estrada said of his hit to left field and the resulting injury.
Aramis Ramirez had a three-run double in the first and Jonathan Lucroy belted a two-run homer in the second for the Brewers, who bounced back from losses in the first two games of the series to avoid a sweep.
Zito (3-2) gave up five hits and four walks but only four of the eight runs charged to him in three innings were earned. He struck out three and had a two-start winning streak snapped.
Zito threw 44 pitches in the first inning against 10 Milwaukee batters and had a throwing error on a bunt. Ramirez knocked in the first three runs with no outs on a double to left-center field.
The other big knock was Estrada's double on a line drive past Joaquin Arias, who seemed to lose the ball at third as it came out of the shadows and into the sunlight.
Estrada clutched his upper right thigh as he rounded first base. He made it to second easily, but came out of the game after being looked at. Zack Greinke entered as a pinch runner and Manny Parra took the mound in the second for Estrada, who had struck out two in a perfect first.
The Brewers said Estrada had a strained right hip flexor and was set to have an MRI.
Parra, Kameron Loe, Jose Veras (3-1), Francisco Rodriguez and John Axford all worked out of the bullpen to finish the game. Veras earned with win with three strikeouts in two perfect innings and Axford struck out two in a 1-2-3 ninth for his seventh save.
"With the injuries that we've had that bullpen has thrown a lot," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "With a couple of clean plays, Manny (Parra) also would have had a clean inning. The bullpen was really good. The day off tomorrow is big for all of us."
Norichika Aoki reached on a close play at first base leading off the second inning -- Zito covered for Brandon Belt on the grounder to first -- and Lucroy knocked a two-out pitch over the wall in left-center to make it 8-0.
Hector Sanchez hit a three-run double off the left field wall in the third inning to get the Giants on the board, and they scored two more after Loe came in for Parra to start the fourth.
Brandon Crawford knocked in a run with a single to center and Melky Cabrera added an RBI double to make it 8-5.
"It was a great comeback but we were just too far behind," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "What a job the [bullpen] did. We have to pick it up defensively. It's what killed us in the first inning."
The Brewers snapped a four-game losing streak to the Giants. They won for only the second time in their last eight games overall and improved to 2-4 on a six-game homestand. They will start a seven-game road trip on Friday with the opener of a weekend series against Arizona...The Giants will wrap up a seven- game road trip with four against the Marlins in Miami starting Thursday.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
May 23 4:38 PM
- Melky Cabrera doubled to left scoring Aubrey Huff with two out. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to third. Runners on second and third and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 5, Brewers 8 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 23 2:46 PM
- Brandon Crawford singled to center scoring Emmanuel Burriss with two out. On the play, Aubrey Huff advances to second. Runners on first and second and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 4, Brewers 8 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 23 2:45 PM
- Hector Sanchez doubled to left scoring Angel Pagan, Brandon Crawford and Melky Cabrera with one out. Runner on second and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 3, Brewers 8 Top 3, 1 OutMay 23 2:17 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Norichika Aoki. Rickie Weeks due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 8 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 23 2:05 PM
- Marco Estrada doubled to left scoring Jonathan Lucroy and Rickie Weeks with two out. Runner on second and Corey Hart due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 6 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 23 1:36 PM
- Cesar Izturis grounded out second to first scoring Aramis Ramirez with two out. On the play, Rickie Weeks advances to second and Jonathan Lucroy advances to third. Runners on second and third and Marco Estrada due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 23 1:35 PM
- Aramis Ramirez doubled to center scoring Corey Hart, Norichika Aoki and Ryan Braun with none out. Runner on second and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Giants 0, Brewers 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 23 1:26 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 1:12 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21