Brewers win homer-filled game vs. PiratesSep 2, 2012 - 10:36 PM
Ryan Braun, Jeff Bianchi, Rickie Weeks, Carlos Gomez and pitcher Yovani Gallardo all homered for the Brewers, who have won seven of their last eight games.
Gallardo was going for his seventh straight win, but was chased from the game after he allowed seven runs on 11 hits in 4 2/3 innings. Kameron Loe (5-4), who gave up a run in an 1 1/3 of relief work, received the win.
"He was out of whack," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "He has thrown so well for so long. He had a game when he just wasn't on. He tried to fight through it and get five innings in."
"He had problems locating his breaking ball," Pirates second baseman Brock Holt said.
James McDonald (12-7) had another rough outing for Pittsburgh. He allowed eight runs -- seven earned -- on six hits, including four home runs, in 2 2/3 innings.
Since the All-Star break, McDonald is 3-4 with a 7.21 earned run average.
Michael McKenry, Gaby Sanchez and Garrett Jones homered, but the Pirates lost for the ninth time in their last 12 games.
Sanchez put the Pirates on top when he drove in Andrew McCutchen with a base hit in the first inning, but the Brewers quickly went ahead.
Norichika Aoki walked and Weeks reached base on Pedro Alvarez's error before Braun slammed his National League-leading 37th home run of the season.
McKenry laced an 0-2 curveball over the left field wall to bring the Pirates within a run in the second, but Bianchi got the run back in the bottom half of the frame with a homer to center.
Later in the second, Aoki singled and Weeks hammered a long home run to center field to give the Brewers a 6-2 lead after two innings.
McKenry knocked in a pair of runs with a base hit in the third, but once again the Brewers responded with the long ball. Corey Hart hit a one-out double in the bottom of the third and Gomez lined a fastball over the left field fence to put the Brewers up 8-4.
Gallardo whacked his 10th career home run and first of the season to start the fourth inning when he lined a 1-2 hanging slider out to left field. After Aoki walked and Weeks singled and stole second, Ramirez rolled a single up the middle to score two and open up a seven-run lead.
Jones led off the fifth with a base hit and Sanchez smacked a two-run shot. Alvarez then worked a walk and scored after back-to-back singles by Travis Snider and Holt.
Jones then pulled the Pirates within three with a solo shot in the sixth inning, but they were unable to get any closer.
Ramirez singled home Weeks in the bottom half of the sixth to cap the scoring.
After Manny Parra gave up a hit and a walk to start the ninth inning, John Axford came on and retired all three hitters he faced to record his 23rd save of the season.
Braun matched his career high in home runs ... Holt went 2-for-5 and picked up his first major league hit in the fourth inning and first RBI ... The Brewers have won six straight home games and 14 of their last 16 ... Pittsburgh went 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left nine ... Milwaukee went 6- for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded five ... Jones went 3- for-3 with two walks ... Braun and Ramirez both knocked in three runs.
- PITTSBURGH: 8
Sep 2 5:50 PM
- Aramis Ramirez singled to right scored Rickie Weeks. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Corey Hart due up.
Pirates 8, Brewers 12 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 2 4:41 PM
- Gaby Sanchez grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 8, Brewers 11 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 2 4:30 PM
- Brock Holt singled to center scored Michael McKenry. On the play, Travis Snider advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 7, Brewers 11 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 2 4:08 PM
- Gaby Sanchez none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Garrett Jones. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 6, Brewers 11 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 2 3:57 PM
- Aramis Ramirez singled to center scored Norichika Aoki and Rickie Weeks. Runner on first with one out and Corey Hart due up.
Pirates 4, Brewers 11 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 2 3:49 PM
- Yovani Gallardo lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Norichika Aoki due up.
Pirates 4, Brewers 9 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 2 3:38 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left center scored Corey Hart. Jeff Bianchi due up.
Pirates 4, Brewers 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsSep 2 3:22 PM
- Michael McKenry singled to left scored Jose Tabata and Garrett Jones. On the play, Pedro Alvarez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 4, Brewers 6 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 2 3:10 PM
- Rickie Weeks two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Norichika Aoki. Ryan Braun due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsSep 2 2:57 PM
- Jeff Bianchi one-out, solo Home Run (2) to center. Yovani Gallardo due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 4 Bot 2, 1 OutSep 2 2:46 PM
- Michael McKenry lead-off Home Run (12) to left center. Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 2, Brewers 3 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 2 2:36 PM
- Aramis Ramirez struck out swinging. None on with one out and Corey Hart due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 3 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 2 2:30 PM
- Gaby Sanchez singled to right scored Andrew McCutchen. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 2 2:21 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 2 2:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21