Twins down reeling RangersJul 7, 2012 - 6:09 AM
Liriano (3-7) allowed one run on five hits over 6 2/3 frames. He walked six, struck out six, and picked up his first road win of the season.
"I've been hitting my spots better, throwing more strikes, and being more consistent," said Liriano.
Morneau hit a solo shot and a run-scoring single and Joe Mauer added a pair of RBI for the Twins, who halted a two-game skid. They have won six of their last eight overall.
Martin Perez (1-1) made his second career start and gave up four runs -- two earned -- on six hits over six innings.
Nelson Cruz drove in the lone run for Texas, which had dropped a season-high five straight games.
Mauer triggered a three-run third by driving home Ben Revere and scoring later in the frame on an error by first baseman Mike Napoli. Morneau, who hit a solo blast in the seventh, capped the early burst with a single to right, which plated Josh Willingham.
It was 4-0 in the fourth courtesy of Mauer's sacrifice fly and Texas scored its lone run in the sixth when Adrian Beltre slapped a leadoff single, moved up on a passed ball and scored on Cruz's base hit to left.
The Rangers have been outscored 34-9 during their current losing streak.
"I'm disappointed but no one is more disappointed than those guys in that club house," said Rangers manager Ron Washington. "No one in this room right here, in the stands, and nowhere in Texas want to win more than those guys. We hit a funk. We're gonna have to keep grinding and fight our way through it."
Liriano improved to 1-5 on the road this season. He is 4-1 with a save in eight career games -- six starts -- against Texas...Perez won his first major league start on Saturday versus the Athletics.
- MINNESOTA: 5
Jul 6 11:05 PM
- Justin Morneau two-out, solo Home Run (11) to right. Trevor Plouffe due up.
Twins 5, Rangers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 6 10:11 PM
- Nelson Cruz singled to left scored Adrian Beltre with none out. On the play, Michael Young advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mike Napoli due up.
Twins 4, Rangers 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 6 10:02 PM
- Josh Willingham flied out to right to end the inning.
Twins 4, Rangers 0 Mid 4Jul 6 9:23 PM
- Brian Dozier grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Twins 3, Rangers 0 Mid 3Jul 6 9:04 PM
- Josh Willingham reached second on Mike Napoli's fielding error, scoring Joe Mauer with two outs. Runner on second and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 2, Rangers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 6 8:59 PM
- Joe Mauer singled to right scored Ben Revere with two outs. Runner on first and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 1, Rangers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 6 8:55 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 8:08 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22