Rays jump on Twins early, roll to fourth straight winAug 11, 2012 - 4:34 AM
Joyce hit a two-run homer in the first and doubled home a pair an inning later.
Desmond Jennings went 3-for-4, scored three times, and added an RBI double during the six-run second. Molina and Evan Longoria both added RBI singles during the inning, while B.J. Upton hit a two-run double in the sixth for Tampa Bay, which has won four straight games since Longoria returned from an extended absence due to injury.
"We came out swinging the bats really well," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "It was a big six-run second inning."
Jeremy Hellickson (7-7) got the win, allowing three runs on seven hits with two walks and three strikeouts over five innings.
Ryan Doumit hit a solo homer in the fourth inning and Joe Mauer went 3-for-4 with an RBI for the Twins, who had won five of seven before dropping their last two.
Cole De Vries (2-3) lasted just 1 1/3 innings in his 11th career start. The righty was charged with eight runs -- seven earned -- on seven hits in the loss.
Mauer also scored a run, coming home on Josh Willingham's single in the first, but the Rays took control an inning later.
Carlos Pena began the frame with a single, advanced on Jeff Keppinger's double and scored courtesy of an error by third baseman Jamey Carroll. A single by Molina and doubles by Jennings and Joyce forced the rookie De Vries from the game and Longoria capped the frame with a run-scoring single off of Jeff Manship.
Mauer's RBI single came in the third, but Molina added a two-run base hit in the sixth before Upton plated a pair for a 12-3 lead.
Alexi Casilla and Brian Dozier both had an RBI in the eighth and Ben Revere sealed the final result with a run-scoring groundout in the ninth.
"It was one of those nights where it was tough to get something going on offense because we got down early," said Twins center fielder Denard Span, who had a pair of hits.
The Rays improved to 45-32 when facing a right-handed starter, compared to 15-20 when facing a lefty starter...Longoria missed 85 games with a partially torn left hamstring...De Vries made his major league debut on May 24, 2012.
- TAMPA BAY: 12
Aug 10 11:24 PM
- Ben Revere ground out short to first scored Denard Span. None on with one out and Drew Butera due up.
Rays 12, Twins 6 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 10 11:15 PM
- Brian Dozier sacrifice fly to center scored Justin Morneau. Runner on first with two outs and Jamey Carroll due up.
Rays 12, Twins 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 10 11:03 PM
- Alexi Casilla single to short scored Darin Mastroianni. On the play, Justin Morneau advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Brian Dozier due up.
Rays 12, Twins 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 10 11:01 PM
- B.J. Upton double to left scored Jose Molina and Desmond Jennings. Runner on second with one out and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 12, Twins 3 Top 6, 1 OutAug 10 10:10 PM
- Desmond Jennings walked. Runners on first and second with one out and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 10, Twins 3 Top 6, 1 OutAug 10 10:07 PM
- Ryan Doumit one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Alexi Casilla due up.
Rays 8, Twins 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 10 9:35 PM
- Joe Mauer single to left scored Jamey Carroll. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Willingham due up.
Rays 8, Twins 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 10 9:21 PM
- Ryan Doumit grounded out pitcher to first. None on with one out and Alexi Casilla due up.
Rays 8, Twins 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 10 8:56 PM
- Matt Joyce double to center scored Jose Molina and Desmond Jennings. Runner on second with one out and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 7, Twins 1 Top 2, 1 OutAug 10 8:46 PM
- Desmond Jennings double to left scored Ryan Roberts. On the play, Jose Molina advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 5, Twins 1 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 10 8:42 PM
- Jose Molina singled to right scored Jeff Keppinger. On the play, Ryan Roberts advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Desmond Jennings due up.
Rays 4, Twins 1 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 10 8:40 PM
- Justin Morneau grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Rays 2, Twins 1 End 1Aug 10 8:29 PM
- Evan Longoria lined out to left. None on with two outs and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 2, Twins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 10 8:16 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 8:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22