M's win, give Pettitte rough welcome back to majorsMay 13, 2012 - 8:49 PM
Pettitte (0-1), making his first start in the big leagues since 2010, was charged with four runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings. The soon-to-be 40- year-old left-hander walked three and fanned two.
Pettitte retired after the 2010 season, but returned to the team in spring training on a minor league contract after sitting out last year. The three- time All-Star was called up from Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre prior to Sunday's game.
The Mariners got a strong outing from Kevin Millwood (1-4), who allowed one run on three hits over seven innings. Millwood struck out six and walked four en route to his first victory of the season.
Robinson Cano and Russell Martin each had an RBI for the Yankees, who failed to pick up their first sweep of the Mariners in the Bronx since May 23-25, 2008.
Pettitte looked good early on, allowing just two walks over the first three innings. But after retiring the first two batters in the fourth, he walked Jesus Montero. Smoak followed with a blast over the wall in left to give Seattle a 2-0 lead.
The Yankees managed to get one run back in the fifth. Mark Teixeira reached base on an infield single, Nick Swisher singled off the wall in right and Raul Ibanez walked to load the bases. Following the first out of the frame, Martin walked to force in a run. However, Derek Jeter grounded into a double play to keep it 2-1.
Wells homered off Pettitte in the sixth to make it a 4-1 contest. Dustin Ackley led off with a single, moved to second on a wild pitch and scored on Wells' blast off the right-field foul pole.
New York scored just one time in the eighth despite loading the bases. Eric Chavez singled, Jeter singled and Alex Rodriguez walked to fill the bases with two outs. Charlie Furbush walked Cano to force in a run. It remained a 4-2 game, though, as Teixeira went down swinging to end the inning.
The Mariners tacked on two insurance runs in the ninth. Alex Liddi doubled, Brendan Ryan walked and Ackley walked to load the bases with two outs. Wells then hit a grounder back to the mound that deflected off Clay Rapada's glove. A run crossed the plate as Rapada retrieved the ball, and another run scored on his wild throw to first.
The 37-year-old Millwood improved to 3-7 in 15 career starts against the Yankees...Pettitte was a member of all five Yankees World Series title teams since 1996 and has more postseason wins than anyone else in major league history. He's made at least one start in 14 different seasons with the Yankees (1995-2003, '07-10, '12), becoming just the third pitcher in Yankees franchise history to accomplish the feat, joining Whitey Ford (16 seasons) and Red Ruffing (15)...New York outfielder Curtis Granderson played in his 1,000th career game.
- SEATTLE: 6
NEW YORK: 2
May 13 4:11 PM
- Brandon League starts the inning for the Mariners.
Mariners 6, Yankees 2 Bot 9, 0 OutsMay 13 4:07 PM
- Robinson Cano walk scored Eric Chavez. Bases loaded with two outs and Mark Teixeira due up.
Mariners 4, Yankees 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 13 3:44 PM
- Casper Wells none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Dustin Ackley. Ichiro Suzuki is due up.
Mariners 4, Yankees 1 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 13 2:35 PM
- Russell Martin walk scored Mark Teixeira. Bases loaded with one out and Derek Jeter due up.
Mariners 2, Yankees 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 13 2:29 PM
- Justin Smoak two-out, two-run Home Run (4) to left scored Jesus Montero. Alex Liddi is due up.
Mariners 2, Yankees 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 13 2:02 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 13 1:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21