Teixeira's 2 HRs, 5 RBI lead Yankees over A'sMay 27, 2012 - 12:44 AM
Teixeira had four of New York's 14 hits, Robinson Cano added a solo homer and Derek Jeter tied George Brett for 14th place on the all-time hits list with a pair of singles.
Teixeira has six hits, including three homers, and seven RBI in the first two games of this series.
"It's what we've always known he's capable of doing," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "Tex is another guy who can carry your club for a while; that's how high he can get."
CC Sabathia (6-2) struck out four and snapped a two-start losing streak after allowing two runs on seven hits and two walks in seven innings.
The Yankees took the opener of this three-game series 6-3 on Friday and have won four in a row.
Josh Reddick homered for the A's, who have lost four straight. Bartolo Colon (4-5) gave up six runs on nine hits and struck out three in six innings to take the loss against his former team.
Sabathia has never lost three straight starts in a Yankees uniform.
The A's jumped on him for a run in the first inning after Jemile Weeks led off with a single, went to second on Coco Crisp's sacrifice bunt and scored on Jonny Gomes' base hit.
But Cano led off the second inning with his seventh homer to tie the game and the Yankees took the lead on Jeter's RBI single in the third, which scored Eric Chavez after a leadoff double.
Reddick led off the bottom of the third with his 13th homer of the season to dead center field, but the Yankees re-took the lead for good on Teixeira's one-out blast to right in the fourth.
"A team like this when you throw the ball over the middle of the plate, they make you pay," said A's manager Bob Melvin.
Jeter tied Brett at 3,154 hits with a bunt single in the fifth -- Colon fielded it cleanly but no one covered first base -- and the Yankees pushed their lead to 6-2 on Alex Rodriguez's sacrifice fly and a two-run double by Teixeira.
Raul Ibanez lined into an unassisted double play to first baseman Adam Rosales in the eighth inning, but the Yankees scored a run anyway when Graham Godfrey hit Jeter with a pitch with the bases loaded.
Teixeira's second homer of the game and eighth of the season scored Cano with one out in the ninth.
Colon pitched 29 games for the Yankees last season, including 26 starts, and was 8-10...Cal Ripken Jr. is 13th all-time with 3,184 hits...The Yankees are 4-0 since a 1-6 stretch and have won eight games in a row at Oakland...The A's are 1-4 on a six-game homestand.
- NEW YORK: 9
May 26 6:50 PM
- Raul Ibanez grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 9, Athletics 2 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 26 6:34 PM
- Derek Jeter's hit-by-pitch scored Nick Swisher. Bases loaded with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 7, Athletics 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 26 6:17 PM
- Mark Teixeira singled to right-center scoring Derek Jeter and Robinson Cano. Runner on first with two outs and Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 6, Athletics 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 26 5:29 PM
- Alex Rodriguez sacrifice fly to right scored Chris Stewart. Runner on first with two outs and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 4, Athletics 2 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 26 5:26 PM
- Mark Teixeira one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Raul Ibanez is due up.
Yankees 3, Athletics 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 26 5:09 PM
- Josh Reddick lead-off Home Run (13) to center. Jonny Gomes is due up.
Yankees 2, Athletics 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 26 4:54 PM
- Curtis Granderson struck out swinging. Runner on first with two outs and Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 2, Athletics 1 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 26 4:50 PM
- Robinson Cano lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Mark Teixeira is due up.
Yankees 1, Athletics 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 26 4:22 PM
- Jonny Gomes singled to right scoring Jemile Weeks. Runner on first with two outs and Josh Donaldson due up.
Yankees 0, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 26 4:18 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
May 26 4:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21
- Tanaka helps Yankees beat A's for 4th straight win May 21