Cano's HR lifts Yankees over MetsJun 25, 2012 - 5:47 AM
Nick Swisher added a three-run homer while Mark Teixeira brought home a pair of runs for the Yankees, who took the last two games of this series on the heels of a three-game losing streak.
"They have great power," Mets manager Terry Collins said about the Yankees. "They hit balls out of ballparks like there's nothing to it. That's their lineup. They go up there to hit a homer."
Boone Logan (2-0) earned the win with 1 1/3 perfect innings in relief of CC Sabathia, who allowed five runs -- one earned -- on nine hits and two walks over 5 2/3 innings.
Rafael Soriano worked around a two-out single in the ninth to secure his 15th save of the season.
Miguel Batista (1-2) gave up Cano's game-deciding home run to take the loss for the Mets.
Mets starter R.A. Dickey had won his last six starts and was coming off consecutive one-hitters, but was touched for five runs on five hits and three walks over a five-inning start.
"When you throw two straight one-hitters, you're doing everything right. He might have been off a little bit," Teixeira said about Dickey. "He threw a couple of pitches to me that there was no chance I was going to be able to hit them."
Andres Torres and Ruben Tejada had two RBI apiece in a losing effort.
Batista returned for his second inning of work in the eighth after the Mets rallied in the sixth to tie the game at 5-5, but Cano quickly put the Yankees back on top by hammering a changeup well over the wall in straightaway center field.
The Mets had a chance to answer in the bottom of the eighth when Torres singled off David Robertson with two outs, stole second and advanced to third on a balk, but Tejada's grounder to third ended the threat.
Soriano then entered for the ninth and opened the frame by winning a 10-pitch battle with David Wright, who swung through a low slider for the first out.
After pinch-hitter Daniel Murphy lined out to Cano, Lucas Duda pulled a base hit into right field. Soriano, though, induced a fly ball to right by Ike Davis to seal the victory for the Yankees.
The Mets stranded a pair of baserunners on third over the first two innings and the Yankees left the bases loaded in the second before the Yankees opened the scoring in the third.
After a pair of walks by Curtis Granderson and Cano around an Alex Rodriguez infield single filled the bags with one out, Teixeira lifted a sacrifice fly to right field to bring home Granderson.
The run snapped a string of 44 2/3 innings on the mound without allowing an earned run for Dickey, which is the second longest streak in Mets franchise history.
Swisher then made it a 4-0 game with a three-run home run over the right- center field wall.
The Mets answered with a run in the home third when Torres walked, advanced to third on Chris Stewart's throwing error on a steal attempt and came home on Tejada's sacrifice fly, but the Yankees got the run back in the fifth as Granderson was hit by a pitch to start the frame and later came home on a Teixeira fielder's choice to second.
Wright had an RBI single in the bottom of the fifth inning to make it a 5-2 game before the Mets fought back in the sixth to knot the game at five.
Justin Turner started the rally by reaching first with one out on a Cano fielding error. Ronny Cedeno followed with a base hit to center but was immediately erased on a fielder's choice off the bat of Josh Thole.
Pinch-hitter Vinny Rottino worked a walk to load the bases and Torres slapped a single just under the glove of Teixeira on the right side of the infield to plate Turner and Thole.
Cory Wade was the summoned out of the bullpen and Tejada greeted the reliever by lining Wade's third pitch to left, scoring Rottino.
Wright followed with a walk to load the bases again, but pinch-hitter Kirk Nieuwenhuis went down swinging to keep it a 5-5 game.
Dwight Gooden holds the Mets franchise record for scoreless innings with a stretch of 49 straight in 1985...Wright extended his hit streak to 14 games...The Yankees lead the all-time series between the teams, 119-82...The Yankees hit 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left five men on base...The Mets went 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10...Sabathia failed to pitch at least six innings for the first time this season.
- NEW YORK: 6
NEW YORK: 5
Jun 24 11:31 PM
- Robinson Cano lead-off Home Run (16) to center. Mark Teixeira due up.
Yankees 6, Mets 5 Top 8, 0 OutsJun 24 10:43 PM
- Ruben Tejada singled to left scored Vinny Rottino. On the play, Andres Torres advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and David Wright due up.
Yankees 5, Mets 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 24 10:16 PM
- Andres Torres singled to right scored Justin Turner and Josh Thole. On the play, Vinny Rottino advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ruben Tejada due up.
Yankees 5, Mets 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 24 10:13 PM
- David Wright singled to left scored R.A. Dickey. On the play, Ruben Tejada advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Scott Hairston due up.
Yankees 5, Mets 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 24 9:49 PM
- Josh Thole grounded out second to first. None on with one out and R.A. Dickey due up.
Yankees 5, Mets 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 24 9:41 PM
- Ruben Tejada sacrifice fly to left scored Andres Torres. None on with one out and David Wright due up.
Yankees 4, Mets 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 24 9:09 PM
- Nick Swisher two-out, three-run Home Run (11) to right center scored Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano. Raul Ibanez due up.
Yankees 4, Mets 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 24 8:59 PM
- Mark Teixeira sacrifice fly to right scored Curtis Granderson. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 1, Mets 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 24 8:58 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 24 8:08 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22