Cano's hit helps Yankees overcome RaysJul 5, 2012 - 2:49 AM
Carlos Pena gave Tampa Bay a 3-1 lead with a two-run homer in the seventh, but Kyle Farnsworth (0-1) walked the bases loaded a half-inning later, then issued a free pass to Alex Rodriguez to push across a run. Cano followed with a line drive up the middle off of Jake McGee, putting New York on top for good.
"Kyle Farnsworth is a big part of our present and our future. For us to get to the promised land he's got to perform better, which he shall," said Rays manager Joe Maddon.
Boone Logan (3-0) earned the win despite giving up Pena's two-run blast, and the Yankees halted a nine-game losing streak at Tropicana Field.
"A tremendous win for us because this has been a tough place (to play) the first half of the season for us," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi.
David Price took a no-hitter into the fifth inning for Tampa Bay. In all, he gave up four hits -- including a game-tying seventh-inning homer to Mark Teixeira -- walked two and struck out eight over seven innings in the no decision.
Sean Rodriguez broke up New York starter David Phelps' no-hitter with a fourth-inning RBI single.
That was the only run charged to Phelps, who was making his third major league start. He lasted 4 1/3 frames, walked three, and recorded a career-high eight strikeouts.
"I thought he threw the ball pretty well," said Girardi. "(The Rays) made him work and this is a team that makes you work but I thought he did a nice job for us."
Cano, who has driven in at least one run in a career-high eight straight contests, finished 2-for-5, extending his hit streak to a season-high 11 games in the process.
Teixeira's 14th homer of the season -- a leadoff shot to left-center -- made it 1-1. Rodriguez followed with a double and appeared to steal third, but was sent back to second base due to umpire interference. The call was made because catcher Jose Lobaton struck the mask of home plate ump Mike Estabrook during his throw attempt.
Andruw Jones then lofted a fly ball to right field, which likely would have scored Rodriguez from third. Instead, the Yankees were held off the board and Pena ripped a one-out, line drive homer in the bottom half to briefly re- establish the Rays' lead.
Phelps, who has primarily been used a reliever, made his 15th appearance of the season. His last start was on May 9 against the Rays and also resulted in a no decision...The Yankees nine-game road losing streak to the Rays was their longest against any team since dropping 15 straight at Texas from 1989-91...Earlier Wednesday, the Yankees claimed outfielder Darnell McDonald off waivers from the Boston Red Sox. McDonald was designated for assignment by the Red Sox on Saturday.
- NEW YORK: 4
TAMPA BAY: 3
Jul 4 7:01 PM
- Nick Swisher struck out swinging. Runners on second and third with two outs and Andruw Jones due up.
Yankees 4, Rays 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 4 6:23 PM
- Alex Rodriguez walk scored Eric Chavez with one out. Bases loaded and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 2, Rays 3 Top 8, 1 OutJul 4 6:13 PM
- B.J. Upton struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Brooks Conrad due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 4 5:53 PM
- Mark Teixeira lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 1, Rays 1 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 4 5:29 PM
- Sean Rodriguez single to right scored Ben Zobrist with two out. Runner on first and Elliot Johnson due up.
Yankees 0, Rays 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 4 4:33 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 4 3:13 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21