Ibanez, Yanks take series with M'sAug 5, 2012 - 11:05 PM
Derek Jeter and Mark Teixeira each added an RBI for the Yankees, who went 4-5 on a nine-game homestand.
New York starter Freddy Garcia (5-5), who started his career as a member of the Mariners, gave up two runs on five hits over five innings to pick up the win. Garcia earned the 150th victory of his career and became the first Venezuelan pitcher to reach that mark.
"I think it's just a mentality he has," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of Garcia. "He's not afraid to be behind in the count. He's not afraid to throw his offspeed [pitches] behind in the count. He doesn't give in."
Former Yankee Jesus Montero drove in both of Seattle's runs. Hisashi Iwakuma (2-3) allowed four runs -- three earned -- on seven hits over five innings for the Mariners, who had won eight of nine.
The Mariners got on the board in the first inning. Dustin Ackley led off with a single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, advanced to third on a wild pitch and scored on Montero's base hit to right-center field. Montero moved to second on John Jaso's groundout and was thrown out at the plate on Kyle Seager's single.
New York got the run back in the bottom half. Jeter reached base on a fielder's choice, advanced to third on Robinson Cano's single and raced home on Teixeira's infield single.
The Yankees never looked back after taking the lead in the second. Chris Stewart hit a two-out double to left and scored when Curtis Granderson reached base on first baseman Ackley's fielding error.
The home team tacked on another run in the fourth. Stewart singled, stole second and raced home on Jeter's base hit to left-center field.
Each team scored a run in the fifth. Michael Saunders doubled to right-center field and scored on Montero's single to right.
Ibanez responded with a solo homer in the bottom half to make it a 4-2 game.
New York tacked on two more runs in the sixth. Josh Kinney walked Stewart and gave up a single to Granderson. Oliver Perez came in from the bullpen and recorded the second out of the inning. Teixeira was intentionally walked to load the bases. Ibanez hit a two-run single to left-center field, making it 6-2.
Boone Logan tossed two perfect innings of relief. David Robertson pitched a scoreless eighth and Rafael Soriano pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to seal the victory.
The Yankees went 6-3 against the Mariners this season...Ichiro Suzuki had a double in the seventh inning and has now hit safely in all 12 games since he was traded from Seattle to New York...Garcia improved to 6-4 in 12 career starts against Seattle.
- SEATTLE: 2
NEW YORK: 6
Aug 5 4:22 PM
- Raul Ibanez single to left center scored Chris Stewart and Curtis Granderson with two outs. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to third. Runners on first and third and Nick Swisher due up.
Mariners 2, Yankees 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 5 3:34 PM
- Raul Ibanez one-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Nick Swisher due up.
Mariners 2, Yankees 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 5 3:03 PM
- John Jaso walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 2, Yankees 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 5 2:57 PM
- Robinson Cano struck out swinging to end the inning.
Mariners 1, Yankees 3 End 4Aug 5 2:45 PM
- Curtis Granderson reached first on Dustin Ackley's fielding error, scoring Chris Stewart with two outs. Runner on first and Derek Jeter due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 5 1:58 PM
- Mark Teixeira infield single to second scored Derek Jeter with one out. On the play, Robinson Cano advances to third. Runners on first and third and Raul Ibanez due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 5 1:30 PM
- Jesus Montero single to center scored Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on first and John Jaso due up.
Mariners 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 5 1:12 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 1:09 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21