Yankees take another one from TorontoAug 12, 2012 - 2:24 AM
Jayson Nix and Derek Jeter drove in a run each for the Yankees, who have taken two in a row in this series and four straight overall.
Ivan Nova (11-6) worked 7 1/3 innings, allowing five hits and two runs while fanning 10 to snap a five-start winless streak. Rafael Soriano turned in a scoreless ninth for his 28th save.
The news wasn't all good, as, following the game, Yankees manager Joe Girardi announced that CC Sabathia was headed for the 15-day disabled list due to soreness in his left elbow which persisted through his last start, on Wednesday, at Detroit. Sabathia was scheduled to take the mound on Monday at home against Texas.
"We'd been talking about it all day, just trying to decide what we were gonna do. Our concern is it didn't go away," Girardi said. "As far as concern, it's pretty low. We decided that we were going to DL him. He wants to pitch on Monday and I'm not surprised, but we decided to try and get it cleaned up now."
Rajai Davis hit safely twice, scored twice and knocked in a run for the Blue Jays, losers of five straight and nine of 11.
Aaron Laffey (3-3) gave up seven hits and five runs, walking four over his 5 2/3-inning outing.
New York cracked the scoreboard in the fourth. Mark Teixeira singled and Andruw Jones walked with one out, and after Curtis Granderson popped out, Nix singled home Teixeira. McGehee then reached the third deck in left center for a 4-0 game.
"You feel like you want to beat your head against the wall," Laffey admitted. "I felt I pitched well for pretty much the whole game but then I had one inning just wreck the whole outing."
Toronto picked up one in the home half as Davis led off with a hit, moved up on a balk then scored on Edwin Encarnacion's single.
McGehee doubled with one down in the sixth and scored two batters later on Jeter's ground-rule double to stretch the visitors' edge to four.
The Jays' only answer was a run in the bottom of the eighth. Davis reached on a leadoff double, stole third and raced home when Encarnacion beat out a grounder to third.
Soriano clinched the win by retiring the side in order in the ninth.
Jeter collected two hits to boost his 2012 total to 150, tying him with Hank Aaron for most consecutive seasons with at least 150 hits, at 17 straight...McGehee's blast was his first in a Yankee uniform, and first since July 18 at Colorado for the Pirates...Toronto shortstop Yunel Escobar left in the sixth inning after being hit on the left elbow...Prior to the game, the Jays recalled infielder Mike McCoy from Triple-A Las Vegas to take the roster spot of pitcher David Carpenter, who was optioned on Friday night.
- NEW YORK: 5
Aug 11 3:55 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion infield single to third scored Rajai Davis. Runner on first with one out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 11 3:32 PM
- Derek Jeter ground-rule double to right center scored Casey McGehee. Runner on second with two outs and Nick Swisher due up.
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 11 2:45 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion singled to right scored Rajai Davis. Runner on first with one out and Yunel Escobar due up.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 1 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 11 2:12 PM
- Casey McGehee two-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left center scored Andruw Jones and Jayson Nix. Chris Stewart due up.
Yankees 4, Blue Jays 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 11 2:00 PM
- Jayson Nix singled to left scored Mark Teixeira. On the play, Andruw Jones advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Casey McGehee due up.
Yankees 1, Blue Jays 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 11 1:58 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 1:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21