Yankees down Jays, maintain one-game lead in AL EastSep 29, 2012 - 4:59 AM
Nick Swisher stroked a two-run double in the opening frame and Eric Chavez book-ended the victory with a two-run home run in the ninth inning.
The Yankees maintained a one-game edge on the Baltimore Orioles for first place in the division. The Orioles fired a one-hitter in a 9-1 home win over the Boston Red Sox on Friday.
Hiroki Kuroda (15-11) labored through 5 1/3 innings by giving up a season-high tying 10 hits along with two runs.
"Our defense kind of picked him up a little bit the first two innings," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "You look up, they have three doubles, five hits total, a walk and don't score a run in two innings."
Chad Jenkins (0-3) remained without a victory after 12 major league appearances. In his second start, the right-hander gave up four hits and three runs over 3 2/3 innings.
Rajai Davis went 4-for-4 for the Blue Jays, who failed to build on a 6-0 win in the opener of this four-game series. Colby Rasmus and Adam Lind homered in the defeat.
Swisher doubled to the gap in right-center field in the opening inning and Raul Ibanez scored on Derek Jeter's double-play groundout in the second for a 3-0 margin.
Rasmus struck out to leave the bases full to conclude the second, but then homered to right-center to leadoff the bottom of the fifth. In the second, Yunel Escobar was picked off third base.
The Yankees expanded their lead to 7-1 in the sixth. Robinson Cano was hit by a pitch and Swisher singled to left field. Despite striking out the next two batters, Brett Cecil was removed from the game in favor of Jason Frasor. Martin took a 3-2 pitch over the wall in left field, and Ichiro Suzuki singled in a run later in the inning.
Kelly Johnson scored on a fielder's choice grounder from Anthony Gose in the bottom of the sixth, but the Yankees got that run back on an RBI from Ibanez in the seventh.
Lind socked a two-run homer off David Phelps in the seventh before Cano singled in Suzuki in the eighth. Chavez went deep with Chris Dickerson aboard in the ninth.
Cano is 10-for-14 over his last four games ... Jeter has reached base safely in 29 straight games, the longest such streak by a Yankee this season ... The Blue Jays fell to 37-39 at home. They haven't had a losing season at Rogers Centre since 2004 (40-41).
- Eric Chavez two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Chris Dickerson. Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 11, Blue Jays 4 Top 9, 2 OutsSep 28 10:40 PM
- David Robertson starts the inning for the Yankees.
Yankees 9, Blue Jays 4 Bot 8, 0 OutsSep 28 10:19 PM
- Adam Lind two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Edwin Encarnacion. Yunel Escobar due up.
Yankees 8, Blue Jays 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsSep 28 10:02 PM
- NEW YORK: 8
Top 7, 2 Outs
Yankees 8, Blue Jays 2 Top 7, 2 OutsSep 28 9:49 PM
- Anthony Gose grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Kelly Johnson with two out. On the play, Rajai Davis out at second. Runner on first with Brett Lawrie due up.
Yankees 7, Blue Jays 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 28 9:31 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki single to left scored Eric Chavez with two out. On the play, Derek Jeter advances to second. Runners on first and second with Alex Rodriguez due up.
Yankees 7, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 28 9:16 PM
- Derek Jeter singled to right. On the play, Eric Chavez advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 6, Blue Jays 1 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 28 9:13 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion walked. Runner on first with none out and J.P. Arencibia due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsSep 28 8:45 PM
- Derek Jeter ground into a double play, short to second to first scored Raul Ibanez with two out. On the play, Eric Chavez out at second and Russell Martin advances to third. Runner on third and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 3, Blue Jays 0 Top 2, 2 OutsSep 28 7:42 PM
- Nick Swisher double to right scored Alex Rodriguez and Robinson Cano with two out. Runner on second and Curtis Granderson due up.
Yankees 2, Blue Jays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 28 7:15 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 7:08 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21
- Manaea loses focus in A's 5-1 loss to Yankees May 21