Giants hang on to slip past A'sMay 19, 2012 - 7:33 AM
Barry Zito (3-1) surrendered four runs on five hits and a walk in 5 1/3 innings for the Giants, who had a seven-run lead at one point before clinging on for the win over the last few frames.
"We've been putting up some runs this last week," said Zito. "These guys that we got going in the lineup, they're getting it done."
San Francisco has won each of its last 10 home games against the A's.
Josh Donaldson smacked three hits, including a solo home run, to go with five RBI for Oakland, which has dropped four of its last six contests.
Jarrod Parker (1-2) lasted just two innings and allowed six runs on four hits and a quartet of walks.
The A's trailed 8-1 following four innings of play, but charged back after tallying a run in the fifth and four more in the sixth.
Donaldson lined an RBI double in the fifth while Jemile Weeks began the sixth with a triple to right-center before scoring on Cliff Pennington's base hit to left-center. With the bags full four batters later, Donaldson cracked a bases-clearing double into the left-center field gap to cut the deficit to 8-6.
But the back-end of San Francisco's bullpen secured the win by tossing three solid frames to close the contest.
Jeremy Affeldt and Sergio Romo each fanned two in a 1-2-3 seventh and eight, respectively, while Santiago Casilla notched his 10th save of the year after pitching around a single and an error in the ninth.
"You always want to keep battling and keep fighting. We did that all the way through the ninth inning," Oakland manager Bob Melvin said.
Earlier, the Giants struck first with a pair of runs in the second inning as Belt and Joaquin Arias recorded an RBI single and sacrifice fly, respectively.
The Athletics cut the deficit to 2-1 in the third frame on Donaldson's solo shot over the wall in left-center, but the Giants retaliated with four runs in the bottom half.
Brandon Crawford laced an RBI double into the right-center field gap and Sanchez's sacrifice fly to center was sandwiched in between a pair of bases-loaded walks by Belt and Zito, which pushed the Giants' margin to 6-1.
San Francisco plated two more for an 8-1 lead in the fourth inning on Belt's sacrifice fly to center and Sanchez's RBI double into right-center.
The Giants have won five of their last seven games...San Francisco has gone 124-116 in interleague play since it began in 1997, the fourth highest winning percentage in the NL...Of the 20 games at At&T Park this season, 19 have been decided by three-runs-or-less.
- OAKLAND: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 8
May 19 1:33 AM
- Josh Donaldson double to center scored Cliff Pennington, Kurt Suzuki and Daric Barton with two out. Runner on second and Collin Cowgill due up.
Athletics 6, Giants 8 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 19 12:30 AM
- Cliff Pennington single to left scored Jemile Weeks with none out. Runner on first and Josh Reddick due up.
Athletics 3, Giants 8 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 19 12:18 AM
- Josh Donaldson double to left scored Daric Barton with one out. On the play, Josh Donaldson advanced to third on the throw home. Runner on third and Collin Cowgill due up.
Athletics 2, Giants 8 Top 5, 1 OutMay 19 12:01 AM
- Hector Sanchez double to center scored Angel Pagan with two out. Runner on second and Joaquin Arias due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 18 11:50 PM
- Brandon Belt sacrifice fly out to center scored Melky Cabrera with two out. On the play, Angel Pagan advanced to third. Runner on third and Hector Sanchez due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 18 11:49 PM
- Barry Zito walk scored Angel Pagan with two out. Bases loaded and Gregor Blanco due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 18 11:29 PM
- Hector Sanchez sacrifice fly out to center scored Melky Cabrera with one out. On the play, Angel Pagan advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Joaquin Arias due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 5 Bot 3, 1 OutMay 18 11:21 PM
- Brandon Belt walk scored Brandon Crawford with none out. Bases loaded and Hector Sanchez due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 18 11:16 PM
- Brandon Crawford double to center scored Gregor Blanco with none out. Runner on second and Melky Cabrera due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 3 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 18 11:08 PM
- Josh Donaldson lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Collin Cowgill due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 2 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 18 10:57 PM
- Joaquin Arias sacrifice fly out to left scored Brandon Belt with one out. Runner on first and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Athletics 0, Giants 2 Bot 2, 1 OutMay 18 10:49 PM
- Brandon Belt single to center scored Angel Pagan with none out. Runner on first and Hector Sanchez due up.
Athletics 0, Giants 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 18 10:44 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 10:16 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21