Colon helps A's top GiantsMay 21, 2012 - 2:00 AM
Colon (4-4) fanned seven and was charged with two runs on six hits and a pair of walks in five innings for the A's, who hadn't won in San Francisco since they finished off a three-game sweep on June 15, 2008.
Tim Lincecum's (2-4) struggles in May continued as he surrendered four runs on five hits and three walks in four innings for the Giants, who had won six of their last eight coming in.
During the month, the two-time National League Cy Young winner is 0-2 with a 6.43 earned run average.
"It was good to put a couple up on him and fortunately we came away with the win as well. We needed that," Athletics center fielder Collin Cowgill said about Lincecum.
Lincecum allowed just one hit over the first three frames, but was touched up for four runs in the fourth.
Back-to-back one-out singles by Seth Smith and Josh Donaldson preceded Daric Barton's walk. With the bases loaded, Kurt Suzuki reached on an infield single to third, which scored Smith, and Cowgill brought home Donaldson and Barton after slapping a single to center. Cowgill crossed the plate on Lincecum's wild pitch, which made it 4-2.
Oakland plated two more in the seventh. Cliff Pennington registered a two-out single and Reddick belted a two-run blast over the wall in center for a 6-2 A's advantage.
Sacrifice flies by Joaquin Arias in the second frame and Buster Posey in the third made it 2-0 in favor of the Giants.
"We have been playing great, putting together some good at-bats and executing when we need it, but today they were better than us," Giants center fielder Angel Pagan said.
The 27-year-old Lincecum was 5-1 with a 1.38 ERA against Oakland in seven matchups coming in...Colon allowed seven homers over his winless drought after yielding just one over his 3-1 start to the campaign...San Francisco was 0- for-5 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base.
- OAKLAND: 6
SAN FRANCISCO: 2
May 20 7:18 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to center scored Cliff Pennington. Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 6, Giants 2 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 20 6:19 PM
- Bartolo Colon advanced to second and Collin Cowgill scored on a Tim Lincecum wild pitch with two out. Runner on second and Jemile Weeks at the plate.
Athletics 4, Giants 2 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 20 5:20 PM
- Collin Cowgill single to center scored Josh Donaldson and Daric Barton with one out. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Bartolo Colon due up.
Athletics 3, Giants 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 20 5:15 PM
- Kurt Suzuki infield single to third scored Seth Smith with one out. On the play, Daric Barton advances to second and Josh Donaldson advances to third. Bases loaded and Collin Cowgill due up.
Athletics 1, Giants 2 Top 4, 1 OutMay 20 5:12 PM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly to right scored Brandon Crawford with two out. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Athletics 0, Giants 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 20 4:57 PM
- Joaquin Arias sacrifice fly to center scored Angel Pagan with two out. None on and Emmanuel Burriss due up.
Athletics 0, Giants 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 20 4:33 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 4:05 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21