Rays take opener from A's behind Cobb's shutoutAug 24, 2012 - 5:20 AM
Cobb (8-8) limited the A's to four hits with two walks and eight strikeouts. The right-hander had tied a career high with eight runs allowed last Saturday against the Angels.
"There was just an excitement all week," Cobb said. "I'm really happy I felt that way toward it instead of being scared and wonder if I'm going to get hit around again."
Tampa Bay improved to 16-5 in August and is closing in on first-place New York. The Rays are 2 1/2 games behind the AL East-leading Yankees.
The Rays did all their damage in the fifth inning, scoring five runs off Oakland starter Tyson Ross (2-9).
Ross was recalled from Triple-A Sacramento to start Thursday's opener in place of Bartolo Colon, who began serving a 50-game suspension on Wednesday after violating the league's drug policy by testing positive for testosterone.
Oakland, one of a handful of teams contending for a wild card spot, lost for the second time in eight games.
Jeff Keppinger singled to begin the Rays' fifth and Luke Scott narrowly missed a home run, doubling off the top of the wall in right field. Ryan Roberts then drove in Keppinger with a sacrifice fly to center. After Jose Molina walked, Sam Fuld lined a run-scoring single to right.
Ross fanned B.J. Upton for the second out, but Matt Joyce plated a pair by doubling into the right-field corner. Evan Longoria capped the offensive surge with an RBI single.
"It's a situation I'm going to have to pitch out of in the future," Ross said.
Oakland shortstop Stephen Drew, acquired on Monday from Arizona, singled in the fourth to snap an 0-for-22 skid ... Ross gave up nine hits, walked two and struck out six over six-plus innings ... This series will conclude Saturday because the Rays' Tropicana Field is going to host a party for the Republican National Convention on Sunday ... Oakland and Tampa Bay split the first six meetings this season.
- OAKLAND: 0
TAMPA BAY: 5
Aug 23 9:46 PM
- Ben Zobrist flied out to right to end the inning.
Athletics 0, Rays 5 End 5Aug 23 8:46 PM
- Matt Joyce doubled to right scoring Jose Molina and Sam Fuld with two out. Runner on second and Evan Longoria due up.
Athletics 0, Rays 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 23 8:42 PM
- Sam Fuld singled to right scoring Luke Scott with one out. On the play, Jose Molina advances to second. Runners on first and second and B.J. Upton due up.
Athletics 0, Rays 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 23 8:38 PM
- Jose Molina walked. Runners on first and third with one out and Sam Fuld due up.
Athletics 0, Rays 1 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 23 8:36 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22