Giants get wild walk-off win over PiratesApr 15, 2012 - 5:48 AM
Burriss singled to start the ninth against Chris Resop (0-1) and pinch-hitter Ryan Theriot singled to put runners on the corners. Angel Pagan was intentionally walked to load the bases with nobody out. Melky Cabrera then hit a grounder to shortstop Clint Barmes, who delivered a low throw to the plate that wasn't handled cleanly by catcher Rod Barajas.
"You throw to your target, and I didn't make a good throw," Barmes admitted. "It was hit hard enough, where I catch it and give it to Rod, we've got two outs. At that point, we've got a great chance at getting out of it."
Before the game, the Giants received disturbing and potentially devastating news regarding their closer. Manager Bruce Bochy announced Brian Wilson likely has structural issues in his elbow. If the issue is confirmed -- Bochy said that Wilson would be seeking a second opinion, probably from orthopedist Dr. James Andrews -- the righty will likely require season-ending Tommy John surgery.
Charlie Morton, who started the season on the disabled list while recovering from left hip surgery, allowed seven hits and three runs over five innings for the Pirates.
Giants starter Barry Zito gave up six hits and three runs -- two earned -- over seven frames.
Neil Walker singled in two runs in the first inning for the Pirates, but the Giants got those back in the second on a Nate Schierholtz RBI triple and a single from Burriss.
A throwing error from Brandon Crawford gave the Pirates a 3-2 lead in the fifth, but Pittsburgh gave it right back in the bottom half. Pagan tripled with one out, and with two down Pablo Sandoval sent a ball off Morton. The pitcher recovered, but his throw was wide of first, tying the game.
Pinch-hitter Garrett Jones singled with two outs in the top of the ninth and stole second with Javier Lopez (1-0) on the mound, but Alex Presley then struck out.
"We did have some good things happen on defense, but we made mistakes," Bochy said. "I think it's only going to get better. We're going to be a better defensive ball club than we were last year."
The Giants, winners of three in a row, will send Ryan Vogelsong to the mound Sunday. The Pirates counter with Kevin Correia...The Giants have won 10 of their last 13 games against the Pirates at AT&T Park...The Giants have scored four or more runs in all eight games this year marking the first time the franchise has done that to begin a season since 2003 (did it in 9 straight).
- PITTSBURGH: 3
SAN FRANCISCO: 4
Apr 15 12:13 AM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to pitcher scored Angel Pagan, advances to second on Charlie Morton's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Aubrey Huff due up.
Pirates 3, Giants 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 14 10:35 PM
- Jose Tabata reached first on Pablo Sandoval's fielding error. On the play, Alex Presley advances home on Brandon Crawford's throwing error. Runner on second with one out and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 3, Giants 2 Top 5, 1 OutApr 14 10:24 PM
- Emmanuel Burriss singled to center scored Nate Schierholtz. On the play, Brandon Crawford advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Barry Zito due up.
Pirates 2, Giants 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 14 9:42 PM
- Nate Schierholtz tripled to center scored Hector Sanchez. Runner on third with none out and Brandon Crawford due up.
Pirates 2, Giants 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsApr 14 9:37 PM
- Neil Walker singled to left scored Andrew McCutchen and Casey McGehee. On the play, Rod Barajas advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 2, Giants 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 14 9:15 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 14 9:05 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21