Padres slip past GiantsApr 28, 2012 - 7:23 AM
Luebke (3-1) scattered seven hits while striking out three and Huston Street pitched a perfect bottom of the ninth to record his third save of the year.
"Anytime you throw that many pitches early you have to find a way to get as many innings as you can out of your arm," said Luebke. "I just wanted to try to get through six and turn it over to those guys (the bullpen) because they've been lights out for us."
Hundley finished with an RBI and a run scored while Chase Headley scored twice and also knocked in a run to help the Padres earn their second straight victory.
Eric Hacker (0-1) took the loss in his first major league start after yielding three runs on eight hits. Hacker did fan seven while his battery mate Buster Posey belted a solo home run and knocked in two of the Giants three runs.
Pablo Sandoval extended his franchise-record hitting streak to 20 games with a line-drive single in the bottom of the third inning but the Giants lost for the third time in four games.
"For you to have a good year, a winning year, you need the timely hits," remarked Giants manager Bruce Bochy. "We have talked about this in the past and you're hoping that doesn't get inside their head and they go up there with the confidence that they're going to get it done."
San Diego scored with two outs in the top of the first as Headley worked a walk and Hundley followed with a double to center field, scoring Headley for the 1-0 lead.
San Francisco answered quickly in the bottom half when Angel Pagan launched a leadoff homer into the seats in left field to tie the game at 1-1.
The Padres broke the tie in the fourth, scoring two runs on four consecutive singles as Hundley and Orlando Hudson each scored a run to give San Diego a 3-1 edge.
The Giants cut the margin in half with a run in the fifth as Melky Cabrera hit a ground-rule double to left and Posey scored him with a double to right two batters later.
Jesus Guzman hit a one-out double in the seventh, stole third, and scored on a single from Headley. After Hundley followed with a single, Headley scored on a wild pitch from Jeremy Affeldt to make it 5-2 San Diego.
Posey opened the bottom of the eighth inning with his fourth homer of the year to left-center field to account for the final margin.
Saturday's matchup features right-hander Tim Lincecum for the Giants against righty Anthony Bass of the Padres...The Giants went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left eight on base...The Padres finished 3-for-8 with RISP while stranding seven.
- SAN DIEGO: 5
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Apr 28 1:14 AM
- Buster Posey lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Brett Pill due up.
Padres 5, Giants 3 Bot 8, 0 OutsApr 28 12:45 AM
- Jeremy Affeldt's wild pitch scored Chase Headley. On the play, Nick Hundley advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with one out and Yonder Alonso at the plate.
Padres 5, Giants 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 28 12:25 AM
- Chase Headley single to center scored Jesus Guzman. Runner on first with one out and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 4, Giants 2 Top 7, 1 OutApr 28 12:21 AM
- Buster Posey double to right scored Melky Cabrera. Runner on second with two outs and Brett Pill due up.
Padres 3, Giants 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsApr 27 11:51 PM
- Cameron Maybin single to left scored Orlando Hudson. Runner on first with two outs and Andy Parrino due up.
Padres 3, Giants 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 27 11:20 PM
- Orlando Hudson single to right scored Nick Hundley. On the play, Yonder Alonso thrown out at third and Orlando Hudson advanced to second on the throw. Runner on second with two outs and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 2, Giants 1 Top 4, 2 OutsApr 27 11:20 PM
- Angel Pagan lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Melky Cabrera due up.
Padres 1, Giants 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsApr 27 10:31 PM
- Yonder Alonso struck out swinging to end the inning.
Padres 1, Giants 0 Mid 1Apr 27 10:27 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 27 10:17 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21