HRs by Beltran, Freese help Cardinals sweep PadresMay 24, 2012 - 5:38 AM
Freese knocked in two runs and Lance Lynn (7-1) gave up eight hits and three runs -- all in the opening inning -- for the Cardinals, who had lost four in a row coming into this series. Jason Motte picked up his eighth save.
"I'm going to keep trying to get wins when I'm out there or do everything I can to put us in a situation to win," Lynn said.
Jeff Suppan (2-3) allowed eight hits and five runs along with four walks over 4 2/3 innings for the Padres, losers in five of their last seven contests.
Will Venable hit the game's second pitch over the wall in right field and the Padres added two more runs in the opening frame, only to give them back in the bottom half.
Chase Headley singled in Yonder Alonso and Nick Hundley's ground ball plated Jesus Guzman in the top of the first. The third run came mainly because Lynn was late covering first base on a potential double play.
Skip Schumaker doubled home Rafael Furcal, who walked leading off the bottom of the opening frame. Freese singled to left to drive home the second run and then consecutive singles from Yadier Molina and Matt Adams produced the tying score. Adams, whose base hit went to right field, recorded his first career RBI.
"The offense did a great job scoring early and I needed to do a better job in that first inning," Suppan said.
Lynn fanned Everth Cabrera to leave the bases full in the third. Lynn gave up a double to Venable with one out in the next inning, but retired both Cameron Maybin and Alonso to escape the jam.
The Cardinals stranded a runner in the fourth, but went ahead in the fifth. Just after Matt Holliday led off with a single, Beltran took Suppan's 0-1 offering over the wall in right field for his National League-leading 14th homer of the year.
Freese homered to left off Brad Brach in the seventh.
Beltran has five RBI over his last four games...Venable had three of San Diego's 10 hits...The Padres left 10 men on base...Suppan returned to St. Louis, where he spent four years of his now 17-season major league career...The Cardinals placed infielder/outfielder Matt Carpenter on the 15- day disabled list Wednesday because of a right oblique strain. They also purchased the contract of catcher Steven Hill from Triple-A Memphis.
- SAN DIEGO: 3
ST. LOUIS: 6
May 23 11:10 PM
- David Freese one-out, solo Home Run (9) to left. Yadier Molina due up.
Padres 3, Cardinals 6 Bot 7, 1 OutMay 23 10:43 PM
- Carlos Beltran none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right scored Matt Holliday. David Freese due up.
Padres 3, Cardinals 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 23 10:01 PM
- Matt Adams singled to right scoring David Freese with two out. On the play, Yadier Molina advances to third. Runners on first and third and Tyler Greene due up.
Padres 3, Cardinals 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 23 8:47 PM
- David Freese singled to left scoring Skip Schumaker with two out. Runner on first and Yadier Molina due up.
Padres 3, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 23 8:42 PM
- Skip Schumaker doubled to center scoring Rafael Furcal with none out. Runner on second and Matt Holliday due up.
Padres 3, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 23 8:37 PM
- Nick Hundley grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short, scoring Jesus Guzman with two out. Chase Headley out at second. Runner on first and Andy Parrino due up.
Padres 3, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 23 8:29 PM
- Chase Headley singled to right scoring Yonder Alonso with one out. On the play, Jesus Guzman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 2, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 23 8:27 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 1
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 8:18 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21