Forsythe's HR leads Padres over GiantsJun 6, 2012 - 6:54 AM
Forsythe, activated from the 60-day disabled list on Sunday, hammered Steve Edlefsen's 1-0 sinker into the left field bleachers to lift the Padres to their third win in 14 games.
Carlos Quentin went 3-for-4 with a pair of solo shots, including one off Jeremy Affeldt in the eighth to tie it.
Ryan Theriot had three hits and three RBI, but the Giants, fresh off a four- game sweep of the Cubs, lost a game started by Tim Lincecum for the seventh straight time.
"As a starter your job is to put your team in a position to win. Obviously, I haven't been doing that up until now and I'm definitely going to be making that my focal point for the next however many months we have left," said Lincecum.
Lincecum was in line for the victory after Theriot drove in Brandon Crawford with an opposite-field single in the seventh inning.
The Giants had a chance to tack on in the eighth, but Forsythe threw out Angel Pagan trying to go from first to third on Joaquin Arias's base hit in the hole.
Quentin, also recently off the DL, knotted things at 5-5 by golfing his fifth home run to straightaway center.
Huston Street (1-0) worked out of a bases loaded jam in the ninth by getting Buster Posey to ground into a fielder's choice, and Forsythe got the better of Edlefsen (0-1) in the bottom half.
The Giants had been 26-0 when leading after seven innings.
The Padres scored four runs off Lincecum in the fourth, which began with Quentin skying one into the second deck in left field.
"That ball was crushed," Padres manager Bud Black said of Quentin's home run. "That's what we envisioned. We figured he would be a force in the lineup."
Chase Headley doubled and later scored on Everth Cabrera's base hit, while Cameron Maybin doubled into the left-field corner to bring in a pair.
Theriot started San Francisco's comeback in the third with an RBI single, then doubled home Gregor Blanco to jump-start a three-run sixth. Posey and Brandon Belt each knocked in runs with sacrifice flies.
Street was also activated off the DL on Tuesday...Quentin has 15 career multi- home run games...Theriot had four RBI in 29 games coming in...Lincecum struck out eight over six innings and was charged with four runs on five hits and eight walks...San Diego starter Anthony Bass yielded four runs on seven hits in 5 1/3 frames...Pagan went 2-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 13 games...Blanco had three of the Giants' 13 hits.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 5
SAN DIEGO: 6
Jun 6 12:54 AM
- Logan Forsythe lead-off Home Run (1) to left to end the game.
Giants 5, Padres 6 Bot 9, 0 OutsJun 6 12:54 AM
- Carlos Quentin one-out, solo Home Run 2 (5) to center. Chase Headley due up.
Giants 5, Padres 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 6 12:34 AM
- Ryan Theriot singled to right scored Brandon Crawford. Runner on first with two outs and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 5, Padres 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 6 12:08 AM
- Brandon Belt sacrifice fly to left scored Melky Cabrera. Runner on first with two outs and Joaquin Arias due up.
Giants 4, Padres 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 5 11:41 PM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly to right scored Ryan Theriot. Runner on first with one out and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 3, Padres 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 5 11:35 PM
- Ryan Theriot doubled to left scored Gregor Blanco. Runner on second with none out and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 2, Padres 4 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 5 11:32 PM
- Ryan Theriot singled to left scored Gregor Blanco. Runner on first with two outs and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 1, Padres 4 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 5 10:54 PM
- Cameron Maybin doubled to left scored Everth Cabrera and Anthony Bass. Runner on second with two outs and Mark Kotsay due up.
Giants 0, Padres 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 5 10:43 PM
- Everth Cabrera singled to center scored Chase Headley. On the play, Logan Forsythe advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Anthony Bass due up.
Giants 0, Padres 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 5 10:39 PM
- Carlos Quentin lead-off Home Run (4) to left. Chase Headley due up.
Giants 0, Padres 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 5 10:30 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 5 10:07 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21