Blanco, Giants shake off PadresJun 7, 2012 - 4:22 AM
Melky Cabrera also collected a pair of hits and drove in a run for the Giants, who shook off a loss in Tuesday's opener and won for the eighth time in their last 10.
Madison Bumgarner (7-4) worked six innings, picking up the win despite allowing seven hits and four runs with four walks. Sergio Romo recorded the final three outs to earn his third save.
"I didn't really have great command of anything today, it seemed like," admitted Bumgarner. "I came out of there lucky today."
Chase Headley knocked in a pair of runs and Cameron Maybin homered for the Padres, who have dropped nine of 11.
Clayton Richard (2-7) lasted 5 2/3 frames, charged in defeat for 10 hits and six runs -- four earned.
An Everth Cabrera groundout scored Carlos Quentin in the Padres' sixth, and the hosts came within 6-5 in the seventh as Chris Denorfia hit a leadoff triple then scored on a Headley groundout.
Clay Hensley got into trouble in the eighth, putting runners on the corners with two down on a single and walk, but Javier Lopez diffused the situation by inducing a grounder to the mound from pinch-hitter Mark Kotsay.
Romo shut the door in the ninth, retiring the side in order on a pair of strikeouts.
The Giants staked Bumgarner to a three-run lead in the first, scoring on Cabrera's RBI double, a sacrifice fly from Buster Posey and a passed ball. The hurler gave two back in the home half on Headley's double and a Jesus Guzman triple.
Blanco's leadoff shot to right in the fifth made it 4-2 for the visitors, then Maybin's two-out answer in the bottom half brought San Diego within a run once more.
"Whenever we lose close ball games, it seems to come down to the little things," said Maybin. "We have to continue to focus and grind and really bear down."
San Francisco picked up two more in the sixth. With runners on second and third and two down, Padres second baseman Logan Forsythe misplayed a Blanco grounder, allowing both to come home.
The Giants have won three of five meetings with the Padres this season...Denorfia doubled, tripled and scored twice...San Francisco left seven on base and finished 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position, while San Diego was 1-for-11 and also stranded seven.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
SAN DIEGO: 5
Jun 6 9:42 PM
- Chase Headley ground out to first scored Chris Denorfia with two out. None on and Carlos Quentin due up.
Giants 6, Padres 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 6 8:50 PM
- Everth Cabrera ground out second to first scored Carlos Quentin with two out. On the play, Logan Forsythe advances to second and Jesus Guzman advances to third. Runners on second and third with Brad Brach due up.
Giants 6, Padres 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 6 8:32 PM
- Gregor Blanco reached second on Logan Forsythe's fielding error scoring Brandon Crawford and Joaquin Arias with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Theriot due up.
Giants 6, Padres 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 6 8:19 PM
- Chase Headley grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Giants 4, Padres 3 End 5Jun 6 8:07 PM
- Gregor Blanco lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Ryan Theriot due up.
Giants 4, Padres 2 Top 5, 0 OutsJun 6 7:54 PM
- Jesus Guzman triple to right scored Carlos Quentin with two out. Runner on third and Logan Forsythe due up.
Giants 3, Padres 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 6 7:05 PM
- Chase Headley double to right scored Chris Denorfia with one out. Runner on second and Carlos Quentin due up.
Giants 3, Padres 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 6 7:00 PM
- Melky Cabrera scored on a Nick Hundley passed ball with two out. None on and Brett Pill at the plate.
Giants 3, Padres 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 6 6:47 PM
- Buster Posey sacrifice fly to right scored Ryan Theriot with one out. On the play, Melky Cabrera advances to third. Runner on third and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 2, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 6 6:42 PM
- Melky Cabrera double to left scored Gregor Blanco with none out. On the play, Ryan Theriot advances to third. Runners on second and third with Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJun 6 6:40 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 6 6:35 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21