Giants keep rolling in win over PadresSep 29, 2012 - 7:02 AM
Vogelsong spun six innings of one-run ball in the San Francisco Giants' 3-1 win over the San Diego Padres in the opener of a three-game set.
Vogelsong (14-9), who was 3-4 with an 8.83 ERA over his last eight starts coming in, struck out four, scattered five hits, gave up one unearned run and walked one for the Giants, who have won nine of their last 11 games.
"At this point I'm just trying to stay on a good roll here going into the postseason," said Vogelsong.
San Francisco is three games behind the Cincinnati Reds and Washington Nationals for the best record in the National League.
Pablo Sandoval smacked a two-run double in the victory.
Jeremy Affeldt tossed a 1-2-3 eighth and Santiago Casilla picked up the final two outs in the ninth and notched his 25th save of the season.
Andrew Werner (2-3) surrendered three runs on eight hits and a walk over 4 2/3 frames for San Diego, which has dropped three straight and seven of its last 10 contests.
The Giants plated a run in the second and two more in the third to jump out to a 3-0 advantage.
Buster Posey led off the second with a triple and scored on Hunter Pence's infield single.
In the third, Vogelsong began the frame with a single and after Angel Pagan flied out to center field, Marco Scutaro's base hit put runners on first and second. Sandoval then plated Vogelsong and Scutaro with a double into the left-center field gap.
The Padres got a run back in the sixth on Yonder Alonso's one-out single into left field.
"I thought his stuff was probably as crisp as we've seen it," Padres manager Bud Black said of the opposing starter.
The Giants have won 21 of their last 29 games overall ... Since the All-Star break, San Francisco has gone 24-8 on the road, the best figure in the majors.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 3
SAN DIEGO: 1
Sep 29 1:18 AM
- Yonder Alonso single to left scored Will Venable with none out. On the play, Chase Headley advances to third. Runners on first and third and Chris Denorfia due up.
Giants 3, Padres 1 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 29 12:05 AM
- Pablo Sandoval double to center scored Ryan Vogelsong and Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on second and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 3, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 28 10:57 PM
- Hunter Pence infield single to short scored Buster Posey with none out. Runner on first and Xavier Nady due up.
Giants 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 0 OutsSep 28 10:26 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 10:06 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21